VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that the 1.8T cant get blowoff valves because they will cause the engine to run too rich? the oxygen sensor would be located before the blowoff valve, so the sensor doesnt know that the valve is spitting all that air out, thus causing the fuel mixture to be too rich. Is this true? does anyone have blowoffs in their stock engines?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: 1.8t blowoff valves (bblink)

hey man no problem whatsoever getting a bov for your 1.8T. i have an HKS that works great! i do believe though that you have to get a special piece to adapt to the car b/c they dont make a bov for the 1.8T. but as soon as you get the piece youre golden!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,734 Posts

You CAN use a BOV on the 1.8t, but chances are about 50/50 that you'll have problems. The MAF (mass airflow sensor) checks how much air goes into the system and tells the ECU to put in an appropriate amount of fuel. If the BOV lets some air out of the system, the ECU will be putting too much fuel in for the air that's actually in the system. That is what can cause problems.
Some work fine, some people have lots of check engine lights and have problems running rough. I say why bother putting it in if it's just going to cause you more problems and the only benefit you get is a "cool" sound?

·
Banned
1,649 Posts
Re: 1.8t blowoff valves (Skippy28Tom)

special piece to adapt ? I have a GFB BOV on my car, and I needed nothing special, and I check my car often, and have not thrown any codes.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

There is really no need for a BOV in this car unless you are really pushing it with upgrades. If you are running stock boost then ya don't need one.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: 1.8t blowoff valves (droopy1592)

Just get an aftermarket divertor valve and a cold air intake, same sound I hear..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: 1.8t blowoff valves (ZoomBoy)

well if there is a chance of running too rich, i think ill stay away from it and opt for other upgrades. i just love that sound....

·
Registered
10,041 Posts

I have a blitz BOV and when my car was stock it would give me all sorts of problems. I would go into limp mode and have no power. Since i got my APR chip its been working fine, no limp mode, no loss of power. My idle is a bit rough but that doesnt bother me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts