VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A class action lawsuit against VW is about to be filed with respect to the 1.8T clutch failures on Jettas and other models. Here are the details of who to contact:
Todd E. Hilton
Attorney
Stueve Helder Siegel LLP
330 West 47th Street, Suite 250
Kansas City, MO 64112
Main #: 816-714-1700
Toll free: 800-714-0360
Direct Dial: 816-714-7118
Facsimile: 816-714-7101
E-mail: [email protected]
In case you're interested, my sad clutch story is here:
http://www.stahrinteractive.co...d=310

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (simmondsi)

way to go, i feel my clutch is on its way out and would like to find out more info on how to get VW to replace it under warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I previously had a 2000 Golf 1.8T - no problems (at least for the 27k I had it), and actually found that engine more drivable day-to-day (torque came in lower). My *guess* is that the issue came with the increase from 150 to 180hp. My advice - get a VR6. I wish I had.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Re: (simmondsi)

my 2001.5 (awd) gti 1.8t clutch sux. it cant even grab cleanly from first to second without bogging. and no i dont ride the clutch or anything like that. crappy gear box also...

·
Registered
641 Posts
mine went at 19K
I first left my car at a vw dealer for the 20k revision with a paper where i wrote all the problems i had with the car
they gave it back to me saying that they could not identify what was wrong with the clutch .. ( WTF !!!! ... )
So i decided to go the easiest way ECS stage 1 clutch :-D - now im afraid that is going to kill my gearbox....
i kean seriously - i did not even try to talk to them about that clutch after the answer but my car was made out of highway miles ( driving from Washington DC to Montreal Canada... )
extremly disapointed.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Quote, originally posted by simmondsi »
A class action lawsuit against VW is about to be filed with respect to the 1.8T clutch failures on Jettas and other models. Here are the details of who to contact:
Todd E. Hilton
Attorney
Stueve Helder Siegel LLP
330 West 47th Street, Suite 250
Kansas City, MO 64112
Main #: 816-714-1700
Toll free: 800-714-0360
Direct Dial: 816-714-7118
Facsimile: 816-714-7101
E-mail: [email protected]
In case you're interested, my sad clutch story is here:
http://www.stahrinteractive.co...d=310

My brother is looking to buy 04 1.8T Jetta 6 Speed. Do they use the same clutches?

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (NYCTT225)

A BUDDY and mine are going though clutch issues too.
we're both in Arkansas and both have Jetta 1.8t's, mine is a 2003 WE, and his is a 2003 GlS. H this clutch went out at 20000 and I was laughing at him for frying his clutch... then mine started doing the same thing... WTF? I can't believe this.
This is my third car w/ a 5 m/t and NEVER have I had a clutch go....

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (NYCTT225)

if he is getting the new gli with the 6 speed then the clutch has been upgraded to a 240mm one. its nice having the bigger clutch. my friend has a 04 1.8t and it doesnt feel like im even pushing in the pedal its so light.

·
Registered
65 Posts

my clutch gave out at apr. 10K miles, but i took it to a vw dealership and they replaced it under warranty...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (silverstonedub)

VR is where its at boys. oh and peopel with mods and crap and bitch about clutches going out think about it you have a clutch designed for a 2.0 with 115 hp you have a 200+ hp car you expect the clutch to hold for long periods of time? um no. and also im not saying all of you but im sure some of you drive like speed racer and beat on your car, clutches dont like that specailly when its a dinky 212mm clutch. then theres some of you who this is your 1st standard in years...yea you think your clutch is gonna last NO i dont think its a design fault. sure they could have and probably should have put a nicer clutch in but for your average none enthusiast commuter who drives like a granny im sure they dont have problems.
the 6speed 1.8t's *same tranny/clutch as a 24v VR6* thats the clutch from the 2.7tt S4 that thing will hold tons of power then some. best clutch ever put out by VW in my opinion and yes its bad ass along with the sweet ass tranny
EIP tuning has a 400whp GTI still using the stock clutch with no problems, now thats what i call a clutch

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (2002gtibluvr6)

I just wish they'd make the VR6 clutch a little less vague in feel...it's a typical vw/audi clutch...very vague.

·
Banned
2,412 Posts
Re: 1.8T Clutch Failure - Lawsuit details (2002gtibluvr6)

yeah, I run my APR 93 chip, but all my cars have had Manual Trannies, And my friend has only done suspension mods, no performance ANYTHING... and his went first. I just can't believe that this happened to both of us, at around the same time, seeing as we've both only had our cars for 8-10 mo.

So what I'm sayin is... we both know how to drive a M/T and we aren't crazy trying to get a lot out of the stock clutch w/ mods... we're just too guys who feel like we got shafted w/ this 20,000 clutch Bull****.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Re: (VWLarry18)

I have 36K on my GTI and the clutch is fine and I have never had a gear gring either. It would be interesting to know if people with the gear grind are also the ones having clutch failure, or vice-versa.
Quote, originally posted by VWLarry18 »
i went through 2 stock clutches in a year

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

i got a new clutch from VW at 25,000 miles, but it was because my slave cylinder failed and sprayed brake fluid all over it. it was really cool when i pushed in the clutch pedal and it never came back up

1 - 20 of 37 Posts