VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: (MFZERO)

ok I need a straight answer to my specific question because there are soo many different brackets and engine block codes in here that I am confused. I have an 86 4000Q and want to install an AEB engine. From what I have gathered I need both left and right ABK mounts, an 01A transmission and an A4 clutch setup? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Re: (KL 518 Dubs)

Quote, originally posted by KL 518 Dubs »
ok I need a straight answer to my specific question because there are soo many different brackets and engine block codes in here that I am confused. I have an 86 4000Q and want to install an AEB engine. From what I have gathered I need both left and right ABK mounts, an 01A transmission and an A4 clutch setup? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Correct
Also responded to your PM.Guys I am really sorry that this thread has not been updated in a while.I am just really busy running my own company but I promise I will get around to it one day.

·
Banned
7,402 Posts
Re: (KL 518 Dubs)

Yo, Issam.... i am about to embark down this road... and you KNOW my picture whoring ass will be to put up some info....
and yes, i will be getting the 058 block internals for this car from you... just like always. LOL
gonna do a BT on the solid lifter AEB head.... 2.0L minimum.....
i think i lke to build cars more than i get to enjoy them SHEESH!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
if anybody has any questions about this swap, just LMK.
mine is running and driving and once i get the gearbox and clutch in tomorrow im gonna turn up the boost to 14psi and get to a dyno soon.
wouldve been on the road sooner but i had to swap steering racks cause mine was leaking, major PITA.
reach me here or on motorgeek for 4cyl/B3 questions.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: (speeding-g60)

Lots of good info in this thread, thanks!!!
Ok, here's my question. I have a euro 1Z TDI engine that I'd like to swap into my newly acquired (and formerly owned!) 90 CQ (w/ a butchered 10vt swap). I'm assuming I'll need the same engine mounts/brackets that a 1.8T swap will need right?
Will the stock CQ quattro tranny work with the 1Z TDI? How about clutch/flywheel/pp?
Thanks for any info!
Later,
Mark.

·
Banned
7,402 Posts
Re: (Mardak)

not that i know anything about this (YET), but its my understanding the VAG 4 cyl motors bolt right upt o the 01A/01E trans....
and yeah, i am guessing the same 1.8T/ABA/16V mounts, unless you are going to fab your own like i am going to .
and as for the FW/PP/clutch, i was told for mine, AEB motor, to use the 228mm Audi A4 B5 clutch setup. to match both the trans output splines for the disc, and the bolt pattern for the flywheel....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: (speeding-g60)

Quote, originally posted by speeding-g60 »

and yeah, i am guessing the same 1.8T/ABA/16V mounts, unless you are going to fab your own like i am going to .

Thanks for the info. Want to fab up an extra set of mounts and sell them to me?

PM me if you're interested...
Thanks,
Mark.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: (Wizard-of-OD)

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »
1Z? take pictures of the passenger side and drivers side bosses for me.

Yup, a 1Z. It's from a transverse application (as far as I know), sourced from Europe. I'm not sure where/which bosses are used on the accessory side of the engine - here's a crappy cell phone pic (will take a better one when I have my digi camera with me):

Where does the engine mount go for a longitudinal application?
...and the other side:

Thanks!
Mark.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Re: (Wizard-of-OD)

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »
You have to build BOTH motor mount brackets

Didn't Europe get a B3 TDI? I wonder how close the block is to the 1Z? Maybe mounts are already out there for this swap...
Another quick question - I noticed on other gasser transverse to longitudinal swaps the oil pan, oil pump pickup, and oil filter housing (more?) need to be swapped out for the longitudinal setup. I'm assuming I have to do the same. Anyone know if I can use non-TDI parts for this?
Thanks!
Mark.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Re: (Mardak)

Quote, originally posted by Mardak »

Didn't Europe get a B3 TDI? I wonder how close the block is to the 1Z? Maybe mounts are already out there for this swap...
Another quick question - I noticed on other gasser transverse to longitudinal swaps the oil pan, oil pump pickup, and oil filter housing (more?) need to be swapped out for the longitudinal setup. I'm assuming I have to do the same. Anyone know if I can use non-TDI parts for this?
Thanks!
Mark.

Hi Mark,
I am looking for the mounting boses on your block but I do not see them

As for the non-TDI oil pan and pick up?Any Audi 80 2.0E pan will work.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a complete AMU (225hp 1.8t) from a TT - aside from the obvious (manifolds, possibly oil pan), what kind of problems am I looking at when swapping it into a B3? From what I can tell, most everyone has used a 1.8t from a Passat or A4 for this swap. Any insight would be appreciated.

Modified by edgy at 4:13 PM 12-28-2008

·
Banned
7,402 Posts
FV-QR

manifolds, and you will need a B5 oil pan from a passat/A4.... the AMU is internal water pump, engine code 06A. so a longitudinal oil pan is one thing, another is the oil pump pickup tube. its shaped different for longitudinal vs transverse.
the clutch setup i am not sure on, dont know much about the TT. if it has the same 15/16" 23 spline input shaft for the trans, the whole clutch setup from the TT should work. if not, then you will need 4 cyl Audi 1.8T clutch stuff.
starter you will need from B5 A4 1.8T as well, if it follows the VW starter placement for transverse cars vs longitudinal mounted cars.
thats about all i can think of for hardware.... but again, i dont really know what trans is in the B3, i am doing the swap into a Coupe Quattro.... but 01A and 01E have both 4 and 5 cyl patterns on the bellhousing....

one last thought? i recall reading somewhere the pressure output of the PS pump may be different as well. i did not pay too close attention to it as i switched over to a manual rack and ditched all power stuff.

Modified by speeding-g60 at 9:23 PM 12-28-2008

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome thread!
From one week I'm thinking to make a toy from one of my old Audis -85 Coupe Quattro (Euro version with 2.2liters NA engine). I'm planning 1.8T conversion for 2 reasons - I really like how smooth power is delivered from my current A4 , and I want this feeling from such a toy. And second I think the car will become more accurate with less weight in the front part (lighter 4cyl engine instead of old 5cyl). The main goal is to make this car ready for next winter snows.

As I understand from this thread, it won't be so hard to this conversion except one thing - I want to keep early style Quattro system with open center diff and ability to lock it manual at 100% for more fun on snow
So I don't want to go with newer TORSEN 01E tranny. Any ideas on how to do this?

Modified by quattro85 at 11:04 AM 1-25-2009

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: (quattro85)

Quote, originally posted by quattro85 »
I want to keep early style Quattro system with open center diff and ability to lock it manual at 100% for more fun on snow
So I don't want to go with newer TORSEN 01E tranny. Any ideas on how to do this?

Then just use your current transmission.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.