VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Thanks for replying Issam. What about water and oil lines for the turbo. Need to tap those too?
I am guessing if I do this, I will need some kind of SEM?

btw, I sent you a fb message. Did you see it?
I know you are super busy.
You sent a message to me directly?
Send over an email : [email protected]

·
Registered
41 Posts
You sent a message to me directly?
Send over an email : [email protected]
No, I PMed you on MG.
What I said was:

"I have been considering swapping in an AEB into my FWD B4 2.0E ABK automatic.
The way I see it, I can go 2 ways.

1. Buy an A4 B5 FWD half cut (manual or auto). This costs about 90,000baht (USD3000. Yeah, really) here in Thailand. Swap in the motor, trans and all required gear.

2. Is it possible to bolt the head and all associated parts onto my ABK short block? [you have answer that] I know the ABK has a 10.4:1 compression ratio, but with a thicker HG, maybe lower that.
Or is this too much work?

I would like to do this as cheap as possible.
Can the automatic handle the Unitronic chip? I am considering just chipping it. 200hp crank is more than enough on the front wheels.
I would source an FMIC locally.
If you have any tips, I would appreciate it."

I kind of want to avoid going SEM, since I know FA about tuning.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
No, I PMed you on MG.
What I said was:

"I have been considering swapping in an AEB into my FWD B4 2.0E ABK automatic.
The way I see it, I can go 2 ways.

1. Buy an A4 B5 FWD half cut (manual or auto). This costs about 90,000baht (USD3000. Yeah, really) here in Thailand. Swap in the motor, trans and all required gear.

2. Is it possible to bolt the head and all associated parts onto my ABK short block? [you have answer that] I know the ABK has a 10.4:1 compression ratio, but with a thicker HG, maybe lower that.
Or is this too much work?

I would like to do this as cheap as possible.
Can the automatic handle the Unitronic chip? I am considering just chipping it. 200hp crank is more than enough on the front wheels.
I would source an FMIC locally.
If you have any tips, I would appreciate it."

I kind of want to avoid going SEM, since I know FA about tuning.
Ah,
I do not go on MG as often as id like. I have limited myself to 3 forums around the globe...can only alot a certain time frame a day and Vortex consumes most of that time :(

I would go the first route. Find a B5 and do the full swap using your ABK brackets. Much easier in the long run and if you want you could always build the ABK motor on the side.

I highly doubt Unitronic would supply a chip for this project given how custom it is. Being in Thailand standalone maybe your only option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah,
I do not go on MG as often as id like. I have limited myself to 3 forums around the globe...can only alot a certain time frame a day and Vortex consumes most of that time :(

I would go the first route. Find a B5 and do the full swap using your ABK brackets. Much easier in the long run and if you want you could always build the ABK motor on the side.

I highly doubt Unitronic would supply a chip for this project given how custom it is. Being in Thailand standalone maybe your only option.
OK, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im currently running ABK engine as well and really interested in AEB swap. I wonder whether the ABK engine mount in Audi 80 B4 will work with the new AEB engine. The second question I have is the immobilizer of the new AEB engine. I heard some people said that some AEB engines come with an immobilizer system, which is installed behind the instrument cluster. Is this true? I saw some videos on youtube installing AEB engine with Audi 80 instrument cluster. If it requires instrument cluster to be installed in Audi 80, will A4 B5 instrument cluster fit the space in Audi 80 B4

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Im currently running ABK engine as well and really interested in AEB swap. I wonder whether the ABK engine mount in Audi 80 B4 will work with the new AEB engine. The second question I have is the immobilizer of the new AEB engine. I heard some people said that some AEB engines come with an immobilizer system, which is installed behind the instrument cluster. Is this true? I saw some videos on youtube installing AEB engine with Audi 80 instrument cluster. If it requires instrument cluster to be installed in Audi 80, will A4 B5 instrument cluster fit the space in Audi 80 B4
Hello
  • ABK mount brackets will bolt up directly to an AEB block so reuse those. If not find units from the ADR 1.8 20V found in 1997 Audi Cabrio
  • Immobilizer in the cluster?
  • no sure if a B5 cluster will fit in B3 but if anything you would just need to figure out tach output for the B3 dash.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well if you own an Audi B frame and it has the aluminum base mount then your in luck.The following cars made by VAG carried the aluminum base mount but were also equipped with a 4 cylinder engine.
ABK - Euro Audi 80 2.0E
ABT - Euro Audi 80 2.0E
ADR - Audi 80 Carbrio with NA 20V
Multiple of my friends have tried ABK/ABT mounts in the passenger side. OK, they mount to the engine, but doesn't align with frame mounts.
I'd say the only option is ADR from Cabrio.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.