VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, noticed the the car had lost a bit of its pep and would seem to slip when I mashed the pedal with decent force. When I put the pedal to the floor the car was acting as though I was tapping the pedal repeatedly and shaking a bit. Stock turbo still peaking at 10psi on my meter.
Car is stock automatic except forge DV and fujita CAI and has been fine the last 30k with them installed. Oil change has about 1k on it with premium synthetic as usual.
Temps look fine, fluids are fine, electrical is fine.
So tonight driving it home from work and the engine is slipping and slamming violently every time the accelerator is pressed, turbo wont spool past 5psi and I mean the whole car just starts shaking hard
Pulled over and listened to the exaust and it was making a loud PUFF PUFF PUFF sound in succession while ideling. No fluids though.
In neutral and gliding down a hill its fine, even when I rev the engine a bit in neutral there is no slamming or even an issue. Only when its in drive.
Its not shifting hard either.
Taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning asap but any insight? I hear turbos blow around 80k. Wish I didnt owe 7k on it still

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Re: 1.8t Extreme shaking and power loss, flashing check engine light 80k miles (biggustave)

LOL! Relax!! that my friend is the exact symptoms of a blown coil... had the exact thing happen to me a few days ago... just get a new coil and swap in until you find the dead one... simple fix.... you'll notice right away!
it will cost you like $40-50 for a coil... buy a spare (or buy 4 new ones if you're super worried)...
don't even let the dealer touch it... they'll rape you for labour.... i'm serious... it's the coil.... sounds like it was giving you signs of failing (probably was mis-firing) then let go completely tonight)
cheers

PS - the PUFF PUFF PUFF (pass?
) is the one cylinder that isn't firing... just blowing air (and unburnt fuel into the hot turbo...)

Modified by MI_canuck at 11:17 PM 6-24-2009

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Re: 1.8t Extreme shaking and power loss, flashing check engine light 80k miles (biggustave)

Coils are easy.
Take off the plastic engine cover.
You'll see four coils.
Unhook the wiring harness from the coil and pull the coil out. That's it.
For cylinder four I believe you have to remove a few nuts to get to the coil, it's sitting under the wiring harness. Remove bolts "few" move harness to the side, unplug coil and pull.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

you should be able to obviously get them from either a vw or audi dealership (if going OEM - suggest the 'R' version).... there's other places to get them like ecs tuning... i'm sure there's others... not sure which aftermarket brand is recommended...

·
Registered
44 Posts
i know im bringing this thread back from the dead. but my car seems to be doing the same thing.. is that why id be smelling the unburnt fuel? and what is the risk of driving like that.. i was about 30 KM from home when this happened and i drove it home.

·
Registered
122 Posts
haha im having the same issue and now kind mad. but i also have oil in were the spark plugs so now replacing them along with the valve cover gasket to stop oil from getting in there but now that i see this thread i will take the coil pack into consideration. thanks guys =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.