VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
i currently drive a 2001 Honda Accord V6 Coupe. i really like the looks of the 2002 jettas and i really want a 5speed. so im thinking about giving my sister the accord and getting a new jetta 1.8t base model with no options. i guess i just need your honest opinion about the car and about vw in general. im going to be going half way across the country to college next year and i need a car that is extremely reliable. i posted a similar post to this on superhonda.com and got one reply that didnt make me too happy, im hoping that guy just had a rare experience seeing that all of that stuff happening to any car would seem odd.
thanks guys, i know im a newbie but if things go well then i may be here to stay. i know nothing about vw's so ill go ahead and admit it

thanks guys

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Re: 1.8T GLS Jetta Questions? (1.8 Turbo)

You might want to post this message in the Golf IV & Jetta IV forum as well.
First off, being a Honda owner, you're going to find VW quality a little lacking in comparison.
I've owned a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 and currently have a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T. My VR6 required 2 warranty repairs: A faulty #6 fuel injector and a faulty coolant temperature sensor. My 2002 Jetta has had one warranty repair: a faulty #1 cylinder coil pack.
All in all, my Jetta are the best built VW's with the fewest warranty repairs I've ever owned. The first 2 new VW's I bought were 1992 and 1993 Passats and those cars were warranty repair nightmares. Still, I loved both those cars. The enjoyment I get from driving my VW makes it easier to put up with the occaisional problem.

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

generally speaking, i don't think most vw's have serious mechanical problems but they can be a pita with the little things.
i drive a 2001 gti vr6 and it has 61,000 miles on it. Here is a list of EVERY issue I have had with it:
1)sunroof somehow got misaligned with the switch, so that I had to close it 1 click past "closed" to actually close it. Somehow it fixed itself after about two weeks.
2)at about 10mos old, the car mysteriously lost all its coolant. i have no idea what caused it to happen -- there were no apparent leaks and it was a sudden occurrence. I refilled it and haven't had any problems since (10mos later).
3)5 broken window regulators. This shouldn't be a concern, though, because they've made them doubly strong in the 2002 model year...my dealership hasn't seen a single one break yet.
4)the damn thing squeeks and creaks like an old house in a hurricane. and this is not an abused car. Never seen track duty, and driven 90% highway miles.
My gf just bought a 2002 golf gls tdi last december. it currently has 11+k miles on it, including a 6500 mile roadtrip out west (from virginia). She has had zero mechanical issues, but had to have the cupholder replaced (on delivery) and the front passenger seat replaced due to a broken spring (on delivery). Other than that, it's fine. We both plan on keeping our cars for at least 200,000 miles.
VW's look great, and have excellent "dashstroking-worthy" interiors, especially at their pricepoint. But there is a growing concern than the quality is no more than skin deep, so take that for what it's worth. I don't anticipate engine or transmission problems, though.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Well, if reliability is your primary concern, you can probably do better. Although with the car being out 3+ years now, hopefully brand new models will have less of the problems seen thus far. As far as the driving enjoyment and other features, a base GLS will make you smile. The 1.8T is very strong and doesn't feel like a 4 cylinder at all. The engine doesn't burn oil and has very little turbo lag... basically its a gem, I don't think you'll be disappointed even coming from a 200 hp V6. The ride is solid and the interior is very nice to look at as well as having a large amount of features (air conditioning, power windows, mirrors, etc.). You'll sacrifice some backseat room compared to the Accord. The 2003 GLS will come standard with alloy wheels as well as a sunroof (not sure if this is increasing the price accordingly though).
That being said, dealing with VW dealers seems to be hit or miss... sometimes you'll have great service at one dealer while poor service at another. Fortunately, the majority of problems seen in the cars so far are not ones that will leave you stranded anywhere. Most often the issues are things such as rattles/creeks, window regulators, improperly wired stereos, supposed transmission grind (although that seems to have disappeared), and the occasional CEL. Mind you, these are things I've seen posted but haven't personally experienced except for the window regulator.
Overall, in general I'd recommend the 1.8T GLS Jetta to someone looking for a new car coming from something old. In your case though, the V6 Coupe is a nice car without a doubt, and certainly one that can be considered very reliable. The only real advantage I would say in making the change would be getting the manual, unless of course you also factor in the situation with your sister and all. Try posting in the MkIV forum for further advice.
Joe

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

The A4 cars have a few known nagging problems:
1. Window regulators
2. MAF sensors
3. Dash rattle
If you're going somewhere cold, the Cold Weather Package ($150) is well worth the money.
If you want the sunroof, then it's an additional $1000 for it plus 15" alloys. Purely optional.
Monsoon....don't know, didn't get one. But the stock one is still a nice system.
Velour interior is nice to touch....but it is a lint magnet. Which color? I'd go black or beige.
Getting a VAG-com is nice also....Honda MoCo tends to hide information from mechanics and consumers reguarding repair codes.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
7,205 Posts

I used to own a 98 Accord V6 Coupe. I traded it in on my 02 1.8T GLS and I couldn't be happier. I was a little concerned with reliability, but I decided to chance it, and the 4/50k warranty helped me make up my mind.
My Jetta has been perfectly reliable, and it makes me smile in a way the Accord never did. My Accord was nice, reliable, and had a sort of smooth power to it, but it wasn't fun to drive at all.
Feeling the turbo kick in at 2k is something the Accord just can't deliver. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
18,208 Posts

i've got a 2001 jetta wolfsburg 1.8t 5 speed.
27k miles. chipped for 16k or so.
the car has been drag raced, autocrossed, and generally driven very enthusiastically since it was out of the break-in period..
my warranty repairs: 2 replacement seat rails, under warranty. 1 set of rear brake pads, under warranty.
that's it. i think it's a great car....

·
Registered
13,724 Posts
Re: 1.8T GLS Jetta Questions? (John A)

2001 1.8t GTI..chipped since 800 miles, crrently has 21k, 2 problems both covered under warranty. They were a leaky master cylinder, and a failed driver side window regulator. Other then that my car has been auto-x'd, raced, recieved clutch drops and just abused like no other. My clutch is slipping but thats my fault. No rattles and squeeks and I love driving it. They're great cars, beautiful interior and paint work and I really can't fault my car
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot guys!
I just got back from the dealer and i was told that in order to get what i want i will have to order it because they dont ever order them like that( gls 1.8t 5speed, black in. black out, no options)
so... that means if i do get one it will be a 2003 model and i recall seeing that the 03 models come standard with alloy wheels and a sunroof? if this is the case then i am smiling right now, however i hope those additions come without a price increase.
these small things you guys are listing kind of have my attention, but surely with vw haveing this model in production this long the 03's will have most of the bugs worked out? at first i had planned on chipping it but now im not so sure, at least not until the warranty runs out, i dont want the dealer to hit me up with a "your cars is modded, the warranty is void"
To the person who previously owned an accord: how would you compare ride quality in the accord vs. the jetta. i was not able to drive one today because they did not have a 1.8t 5speed on the lot.
i really appreciate your help guys, you guys are much more helpful than most of the guys over at superhonda.com, if anything i believe i fit into the vw crowd more than i do the honda crowd, lol. i hope i will soon be driving one

thanks again for all the replies!
robbie

·
Registered
14,856 Posts

1)go ahead and chip it.
2)be wary of a black velour interior. you'll be hating it after 1 week of trying to keep it lint-free. you'll wish for leather or seat covers. seriously, it's that bad.
it's getting to be about that time of year that you will start to get some good deals on 2002 models, if you cna hold out another couple of months. shopping for that inventory is a good way to save money. and face it, having more options than you want isn't going to cost you much performance at all, and if you can get them for "free" buy buying a year-end leftover then why not....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 1.8T GLS Jetta Questions? (bigelliot)

i agree with you on looking for a 2002 model, however the dealer i was at claims they are the largest vw dealer in the US, and they didnt have a single 1.8t 5speed on the lot. i guess ill call around and check other dealers, but i really want black, and now i guess that you have pointed out that the black interior is bad, is there another choice that is like grey or something, i really like dark interior. or maybe i can get lucky and find one with black leather that they sell me for cheap?
also can you give me reasons for going ahead and chipping it? doesnt this reduce its life and reliability?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Questions specific about chipping and reliability are probably best left to the focus of the 1.8T forum or the MkIV forum... more knowledgable answers are there

Furthermore, I'm pretty certain as it is on this website (and this website is pretty darn accurate) that the GLS for 2003 will include 15" alloys and a sunroof. Check the main page for 2003 model year details. If I remember correctly there's some sick sounding colors (in a good way) coming out as well... some sort of grey struck me as sounding really unique.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track
7,205 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]To the person who previously owned an accord: how would you compare ride quality in the accord vs. the jetta. i was not able to drive one today because they did not have a 1.8t 5speed on the lot.[HR][/HR]​
I think the ride quality is about comparable. They both have noticeable body roll. The Jetta is a little more "floaty" after bumps, but not terribly so. The almost immediate power delivery (compared to the Accord) was what really sold me.
Oh yeah, and do yourself a favor and skip the velour seats. Order seat covers, order leather, whatever. I have regretted my velour seats from the time I first realized that they NEVER GET CLEAN!!!!!!! I am not exaggerating. I can spend 30 minutes with duct tape and never get all the lint off them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: 1.8T GLS Jetta Questions? (Sortafast)

is any color besides black ok for the velour? or should i avoid it in any color.
i spoke on the phone with a vw salesman today and he said that for 2003 the GL will be available with the 1.8t and will be equipped the same way as the 2002 GLS. And that the 2003 GLS will come standard with sunroof and alloy wheels.
i will probably be waiting a while before i get a jetta (if i do end up getting it) simply because there is only one 2002 1.8t 5speed in the Dallas area. ive checked all seven dealers and the only one in Dallas is White with Black velour and it is a demo with 4,000miles on it. i know i could get a good price on it. and it has the luxury package, but i didnt really want a white car and from what i understand about the black velour i want to stay away from it as well. so... i will be waiting. my dad said that he has done some thinking and he is not ready to jump in a purchase another car right away anyway, so i looks like it will work out for the best. ill probly end up with a 2003 GL 1.8t 5speed or i may keep my accord.
thanks for all of your help, i will continue to visit this website and learn as much as i can about the 1.8t, so i will be fully prepared for it when i get it. it really seems like a fun car and i have seen some really nice ones.
thanks again guys!

·
Registered
856 Posts

Our 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T is now somewhere around 35K miles after two years of ownership.
We have had two minor problems: an intermittent rattle in the dashboard that the dealer couldn't find when it was in for warranty service, and the light in the climate control knob panel blew out post-warranty. There have been no other problems with the car. With the new cars, you'll get a 4/50 basic warranty; if the 2001's had this, both of the problems would still be covered, but the 2001's had a 2/24 basic and 10/100 drivetrain. See the VWVortex news item re: the warranty change.

Things I regret:
1. The beige leather interior--we both wear black leather jackets, and now the front seats are stained. The beige carpet looks like grey crap now. Well, she wanted black and tan...
2. Didn't get the mudflaps. I really wanted the dealer to throw them in, but they balked, so I decided to do it later and never got around to it. Mudflaps are a very old-school VW accessory that I don't have on the Passat, either--which is why the clearcoat has been sandblasted off just past the wheels all around (on the Passat, that is).
3. Never got the either of the CD players (trunk changer and in-dash single) or the upgraded speakers (these are all dealer-installed items), making do with a Sony Discman portable.
4. Fiancee insisted on an automatic--2001 was a four-speed non-Tiptronic, new ones are five-speed Tiptronic
5. Nobody makes a rear mount bike rack for newer VW's, cause the lower straps can't attch to anything solid--ended up with a Thule roof rack, which makes it a PITA to wash.
6. Didn't get the 17" wheels.
7. Never bought deep rubber floormats and trunk liner (see carpet comment, above).

Strange things about the car:
1. The owner's manual doesn't fit in the glovebox.
2. The turn signal is too easy to flip the wrong way, resulting in unintentional high beam activation.
3. Car could benefit from a steering damper. Steering response is a tad too quick, methinks. Maybe this is less of a problem with the 17" wheels?
4. The brakes have a little play, and then grab like glue. Very different than my Passat (Passat has better progression), and is a source of annoyance when I drive the Jetta. Hopefully this will be fixed with new brake pads (Mintex).
5. Cruise control operates bass ackwards as compared to my Passat.

Words of Advice:
Definitely get the sport suspension and 17" wheels. The sport suspension is a dramatic improvement over the standard suspension. If you decide to upgrade to an aftermarket kit (I would recommend the Eibach Pro-System+), you can defray some of the cost by selling off the sport suspension parts, which you wouldn't be able to do as easily with the standard suspension. The 17" wheels come with vastly better (and more expensive) tires, but you don't have to replace them with the same when they wear out. Also, the 17" wheels are on the heavy side, but they are attractive, and if you decide to upgrade to aftermarket wheels, again, you will find that they are much easier to sell than the standard 15" wheels.
And be careful with the cupholder. It's mounted right over the stereo, and the aforementioned fiancee managed to spill coffee down the front, making for sticky radio buttons...oy, veh. Come to think of it, that's probably what killed the dash light, too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts