VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a couple searches and found a couple MK3's with this issue however I did not find anything for the MK4.

The last couple days, we have been over 90 degrees in the afternoon. My black 03 20th 1.8t sits on the side of the road at work in the direct sun from 12:30 (lunch) until 5pm when I get off.

The last 2 days, when I have gone to start it, it cranks and cranks for 5-8 seconds before it starts to catch and finally stumbles to life. Once its running, everything feels fine. If I turn the car off and restart it, it starts fine.

In the mornings in the garage, evenings when its cooler or leaving for lunch before the day has gotten really hot, it starts fine. It only seems to be affected after sitting in the direct afternoon heat for a few hours.

I have read vapor lock, dying crank position sensor, ignition issues, starter etc. I am going to rule out the starter as the car cranks like normal. It simply does not fire.

Anyone have an insight or have faced this issue? Its not a big deal but I don't want it to turn into anything larger especially since I am taking a 2 week trip to vegas next week where the heat will be even worse.

Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.