VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

My 2005 VW Jetta 1.8T has 170K Kms on it. Just recently I have had an issue with intermittent starting.

If I turn the key half way, the system flashes up, fuel gauge goes to appropriate fuel level. If I have turn it fully, it will take a while to turn the car on, or possibly not at all. If I just put the key in, and turn the key fully to start the car it will not star, it will just continue to try and catch.

I have a brand new battery in the car, have looked for obvious vacuum leaks around the FPV and changed my air filter recently as well.

My experience with 1.8Ts is minimal, this is my third one and I try to do as much work on them on my own. My head space is that the issue is with fuel initially getting to the right places, and my next step was to change out the fuel filter.

Is it possible something is clogged in my gas line?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm actually having similar issues with my GTI - pretty much identical to what you described: if I try to start right away and fully turn the key, it won't start; if I do a half turn, let the fuel rail prime (you should hear a buzzing and click coming from the passenger-side back seat), it may take 1 or 2 tries before it runs.

I'm currently diagnosing a 16804 code, so I haven't paid much attention to this issue, but my money is also on the fuel system. Refer to the following post, that should give you a good start. First thing to pay attention to is if you hear a buzzing noise when you first open the driver-side door. Also, I assume you would have mentioned it if you had one, but just to double-check: do you have a CEL, and if so, what are the codes?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5427024-Testing-Fuel-Pump-Problems-amp-Solutions-thread

1 - 2 of 2 Posts