VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GTI 2.0T 6MT, 2003 GTI 1.8T 5MT, 2002 Jetta 1.8t 5MT, 2001 Jetta 2.0 5mt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t. Since purchasing it, I've been hearing a knocking/ticking sound that seems to be coming from the top end of the engine.
I recently dropped the oil pan to take a look at the oil pickup. Sure enough, the pickup was clogged with some sort of plastic debris.
While cleaning out the oil pan, I found some deposits of metallic sludgy material in the corners - It was very goopy and also magnetic.
I replaced the pickup itself and the oil pump and put the pan back on.
After filling with oil and starting the car, the ticking sound was still present. I am running out of ideas on where to look next.

I will try to attach a photo of my findings in the oil pan, and a video of the sound.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,781 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t. Since purchasing it, I've been chasing a knocking/ticking sound that seems to be coming from the top end of the engine.
I recently dropped the oil pan to take a look at the oil pickup. Sure enough, the pickup was clogged with some sort of plastic debris.
While cleaning out the oil pan, I found some deposits of metallic sludgy material in the corners - It was very goopy and also magnetic.
I replaced the pickup itself and the oil pump and put the pan back on.
After filling with oil and starting the car, the ticking sound was still present. I am running out of ideas on where to look next.

I will try to attach a photo of my findings in the oil pan, and a video of the sound.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

View attachment 225679
Im sorry to hear that. How clogged was the pickup and for how long? If you ran it will low oil pressure for long enough it could have destroyed the bearings etc. The goop could be RTV that someone over applied and ended up in the pickup. I would imagine that metal shavings from lack of oil pressure could have stuck to the goop which is why its magnetic? The plastic could be debris from the windage tray under the crank or also the windage tray under the valve cover

·
Registered
2015 GTI 2.0T 6MT, 2003 GTI 1.8T 5MT, 2002 Jetta 1.8t 5MT, 2001 Jetta 2.0 5mt
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sorry to hear that. How clogged was the pickup and for how long? If you ran it will low oil pressure for long enough it could have destroyed the bearings etc. The goop could be RTV that someone over applied and ended up in the pickup. I would imagine that metal shavings from lack of oil pressure could have stuck to the goop which is why its magnetic? The plastic could be debris from the windage tray under the crank or also the windage tray under the valve cover
I can't comment on how long it was clogged before I owned it, but I can only assume it has been clogged during my whole ownership (~4,000 kms).
The pickup was pretty plugged up with plastic debris, similar to what is pictured.

Brown Water Liquid Amber Fluid

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,781 Posts
I can't comment on how long it was clogged before I owned it, but I can only assume it has been clogged during my whole ownership (~4,000 kms).
The pickup was pretty plugged up with plastic debris, similar to what is pictured.

View attachment 225690
It's hard to say what it is based on the pic but doesn't look good unfortunately

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Mechanics Stethoscope, very handy for locating and or isolating sources of noises. Mine has helped me zero in on noises more than once. Cheap at Harbor Freight ~$5.

Here is an example from my Greatest Hits & Misses.
Just installed a freshly overhauled alternator from my local Diesel Electric guy.
Alternator output is correct.
Problem is there is still a bearing noise.
I pull the alternator, back to diesel guy.
He tells me - Could be a bad bearing. He changes the front bearing, again.
Install. Noise is still .
I go buy a stethoscope.
The Alternator is directly above the Air Pump.

Stethoscope shows it was the Air Pump all along.
I called my Diesel Guy and apologized... No Problem, he tells me.

fat biker

·
Registered
2003 20th AE GTI #2728
777 Posts
I watched the videos op posted. Some of the ticking sounds like normal injector noise. The rattle/knocking sounds like a loose accessory pully like power steering/ac clutch/altonator or a rod knock. Lifters/head noises seem to sound more drastic and loud than rattle/knocking in the video.

Do a compression test. Using a stethoscope like @fat biker biker stated would help as well. Hopefully you dodged a bullet because the debris in the oil pan says your motor has probably sustained some damage.

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2000 Beetle GLS 2.slower, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
1,091 Posts
Oops I forgot to hit send.

The plastic looks like the chain guides for the cam chain tensioner. There's a guide on the top and bottom.

Check if there are scratch marks above the cam chain on the bottom of the valve cover. If so, you probably have chain slap and the tensioner needs to be replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts