VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm real close to buying one of these beasts, and am trying to justify the GLX V6 vs. a loaded 1.8T GLS. The V6 seems awfully smooth and quick, I noticed some turbo lag on the 1.8T - any experience you'd like to share?
Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (StillTryingToDecide)

Have not tried the new 1.8T Passat (I did not like the old 150HP turbo) but from my Jetta experience (see sig), I'd go with the 1.8T. Save the money for other upgrades. At least try to get better wheels (15" wheels http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif )

·
Registered
14 Posts

It certainly seems to be the delimma of the year... You can not go wrong with either engine. Both are plenty strong for anyones general use unless you want to drive ten tenths all of the time and then you have the wrong vehicle. The 1.8 is a great engine which at 170 HP is fine and with a small investment measured in hundreds of dollars can make 200+. The v-6 has 190 HP and its main virtue is smoothness. In the end I solved the problem by ordering the v-6 and a 5-speed for my variant but I drive the cars a lot of miles. My 93 Audi 100s currently has 184K+ one owner miles and still doesn't burn oil and has been for the most part maintenance free. I have also been lucky - original battery, clutch, trans, exhaust, and most everything else except for several brake jobs, two timing belts, numerous tires and at least three windshields and a high pressure fuel pump over ten years (in Michigan).
Pull the trigger. you can not lose

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (Crossle63F)

I personally prefer the 1.8T 5 speed Passat over all the others. (Apart from the W8 of course).
The balance of the car, the power and the sound are just right for me.
Unless you need awd, why spend the extras money?

·
Registered
223 Posts

Biased opinion to follow: 1.8T
Of course it depends on your driving style and if you are getting the automatic or not.
I have the 5-spd and have never tired of shifting, even in Dallas rush hours (4th worst in the US according to one rag!). I can keep the revs where I want them and this avoids the turbo lag. Also, if you are into mods, the 1.8T offers more options.
If you just need a daily commuter, though, it would probably be hard to beat the V6 and a chipped Tiptronic. V6 has more torque/power, stock.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (jhutton91)

I got the V6 with manual transmission and, since I already had the hp & torque, spent my mod money on suspension goodies to keep it all on the road and out of the bushes. YMMV, either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
363 Posts

You didn't mention whether you were looking at Tip or manual. I think that with a manual both engines are great - I have a 1.8T and love it. I've driven my friends 1999 1.8T (150hp) with a Tip and didn't like the engine response/Tip but then I've driven manuals all my life and have never enjoyed driving an automatic.
Based on consumer reports latest data the 1.8T is more reliable than the V6. Has good fuel economy especially on the freeway. With the 1.8T you can move from 70mph to 90 mph effortlessly on the freeway - just curl your toes and you are there!
If the search is up you will find a lot of threads on this subject - with the usual biased opinions based on what the person drives. The only thing that seems to be the common factor is that (a) the turbo lag is noticeable with the 1.8T with Tip and (b) that most people who haven't driven the 1.8T confuse it with the typical 1.8l 4 cylinder engines - in my opinion the 1.8T is as close as you can get to V6 performance in a 4 cylinder and is an excellent, mature engine with a great track record.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fuel Economy, Reliability

We made the same choice. The V6 is definitely smoother if that is your priority. However, as we expect to be doing some long road trips, the significantly better fuel economy of the 1.8T really swayed us. Also, it seems that the 1.8T according to Consumer Reports has a little edge on the reliability front.
Even with the Tip, the 1.8T feels powerful enough for daily driving. Considering the $2-3k price difference, the above factors were enough to convince us to get the 1.8T instead of the V6.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Either way, they are both awsome cars. It really does not matter what your driving habits are. I have had both the V6 and now I have a 1.8T w/Tiptronic. I prefer the 1.8T, in the Tiptronic mode it has power for the hills, and then some. Around town leave it in regular mode, it's fine. My service manager has advised to stay away from the V6, unless you have a deep wallet. But, he may have had a bad experience, who knows. The one thing I would highly, and I mean highly, recommed is; buy an extended warranty! VW warranties are a joke, Kia puts out a more comprehensive warranty. This Passat I have now was a nightmare in the beginning, mostly electrical problems and CV joints. Still a "driver's car" though, if it keeps behaving well, I'll keep it. Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts

Time for my 2 cents.
From an objective standpoint, have the dealer provide a 1.8T and a V6 for you to test drive back-to-back and decide which one will better suite your needs. If the 1.8T is good enough for you, buy that and use the money saved from purchasing a V6 to jazz it up. No matter what anyone says, you'll be the one throwing down $25K-$30K and having to live with the vehicle for quite some time.
Now, from a biased point of view, I like the V6. I've never been a big fan of turbo-charged cars because the turbos are just another item that can go wrong and I've always found the turbo lag disconcerting. I purchased the V6 GLS with 5-speed manual transmission four years ago and have not regretted it once. I average around 30 mpg on the highway and 20mpg around town (I have a heavy foot). I like the smoothness of the engine (as well as the sound). I did test drive a 1.8T in addition to the V6 when I purchased it, but back then the 1.8T was making only 150 HP, so there was a noticeable difference in power. With the new 1.8T engine, it might not be that noticeable. My girlfriend is getting an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro because that's more than enough power for her needs and she would rather spend money optioning the car than on the larger engine.

One last item, I do alot of driving up to Vermont and upstate New York http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to go skiing and camping and I love the torque on the V6. I don't think the 1.8T would be a suitable choice for those conditions. An occasional trip would be fine, but I'm up there quite a bit during the winter.
I'll stop now. Whichever engine you choose, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with the car overall. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Depends on you driving style and preference. We own a 2001.5 Pass at wagon 2.8 V6 with a manual trans. and 2000 Audi A4 1.8T also with a manual trans. The V6 is smoother and has a-lot more torque of the line and at low speeds than a stock 1.8T.
However I recently chipped the 1.8T and it totally out performs the 2.8 in every gear
(except for 1rst gear off the line). The 1.8T with a chip is still considerably cheaper than the V6 option. I understand this is really isn’t an apples to apples comparison and transmission types as well as actual weight of the car will all impact you driving experience. If I was to choose, I would pick the V6 if I planned to leave it totally stock,
otherwise I would pick the 1.8T

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (audidudi)

just like eeryone is saying, drive both for yourself and see how the car's characteristcs will work with your driving habits. i love my V6 / 5-speed combo. fuel mileage is respectable 22 city and 30+ highway. and the smoothness and extra torque for a great overall package.
search the forums. this has been discussed before. i think the post that summed it up best said something to the effect, excluding chipping the 1.8t and staying stock: 1.8t seems happier in the city and the V6 is great for open expanses and highway traveling. either will do fine in either situation but that seems to be where their respective strengths are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (DaffyPassat)

We do a lot driving in the Sierra Nevada Mountains mainly the Lake Tahoe area. The high altitude does not affect our 1.8T but our 2.8 V6 though still very adequate does lose a little performance at high altitudes. I ask the dealer about this and he replied that turbos are not prone to high altitudes compared to regular aspirated motors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (audidudi)

even though there's only a small difference in horsepower, there is a much larger difference in torque, which is just as important. i haven't driven a 1.8T, but i love my V6. the best thing about it is how quiet it is, even when you're flooring it to get on the freeway.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have both--
My wife's car is a '00 Passat GLX w/ V6.
My car is an '00 Audi TT 180Q w/ the 1.8t (w/ APR chip)
Smooth, quiet power-- go w/ V6.
Higher revving, more "work" to drive, but just as much fun- 1.8t w/ APR chip !!
....depends on what you're looking for.
btw, many will disagree, but I still think that a V6 is quicker than a chipped 1.8t (Passat). of course, a lot depends on the driver.

·
Registered
99 Posts

wow, this thread was great, now i can finally convince my wife that the 1.8T is just as good as the V6. i just don't see spending 2-3K more on the motor at the dealer when i can get a $300 chip for the 1.8t and outperform the V6. but i'll tell you my opinion since we both drove back to back...
V6=smooth torque and power with little noise
1.8T= little (slightly noticable) turbo lag (wife hated it) but just as happy to cruise around town in...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: 1.8T or V6? (2.0slowbutwannago)

A bit of a me-too post, I know, but I have a 2002 1.8T 5-sp and haven't once regretted the decision. It's plenty torquey, and, once I got used to the feel of the car, the turbo lag really hasn't been irritating. I also have the general impression that, oddly for a turbo, it's a bit more robust than the V6. (I've got 20K miles on mine already, it hasn't used a drop of oil yet, and I'm hoping to keep it to 200K.)
BTW, one thing I did realize quickly driving in hilly country is that a low compression, small, four cylinder engine in a 3200lb car offers _no_ engine braking. Up hills, no problem, but down hills, even on a moderate grade in *second* gear, it's easy to allow the tach to spin into oblivion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.