VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally looking at a 2003 GTI. Problem is I don't have alot of money to spend so I'm looking at the 1.8t version. Will I end up regretting it or is it still pretty fast?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (fjones)

Get it, you won't regret it. And if you're short on dough, it's cheaper to mod to a pretty good level of Power. The VR6 requires more dough to get more power.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (fjones)

Yeah, the 1.8t is the way to go if your planning to do mods and are a little short on dough. With a lot less money you can get the 1.8t's damn fast.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (jaguarS4R)

Quote, originally posted by jaguarS4R »
VR6 OWNS JOO
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (jaguarS4R)

Quote, originally posted by jaguarS4R »
VR6 OWNS JOO
I agree!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (ninja_van1sh)

Save some extra cash and get the VR6, you will regret it. There is a huge difference between the power of power availibility of the VR6 and the 1.8T. A chipped 1.8t will not beat a stock vr6 no matter what anyone says. Look at the post in technical with the actual numbers. You will have to spend 1k to get it even close to the same amount of horses as the vr6 so save some cash. You can get a VR6 with leather for 20k. You might spend an extra 1-2k but you will regret it if you don't buy the VR6. Don't beleive me, drive them both. When you are going to spend over 18k on a car, don't let 1-2k sway your decision, work the numbers out because if you take out a loan, you are talking an extra 20-30 bucks per month.
It will alway sbe beaten to death because 1.8T owners say they chose their cars with no regard to pricing. But this post mentions everything about money. There is a reason why the VR6 costs more, it's a better engine. Period. the VR6 has been proven, been around for 10 years wehre the 1.8 is a fad

·
Banned
8,251 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (monkeystick)

Quote, originally posted by monkeystick »
Save some extra cash and get the VR6, you will regret it. There is a huge difference between the power of power availibility of the VR6 and the 1.8T. A chipped 1.8t will not beat a stock vr6 no matter what anyone says.

eh..i have a vr6 12v. a 6 speed 1.8t (337) can get a nose ahead of me...24v maybe different
chipped 180hp 1.8t's get low 14's to 13's. u r quite misinformed.
i love my 12v, an di would never traid it in for a 1.8t, but the 1.8t is easy cheap speed.

chipped 150hp turbo cars hit liek 170-180 to the wheels...my 12v gets about 160 to the wheels, and the stock 24v gets about 175-180 to the wheels. the 180hp 1.8t gets near 190-200 to the wheels...

the 1.8t has been around just as long as the vr6. the 20v turbo has been used in alot of older audis.
The main upside to a vr6 is reliablity. coilpacks aside, u wont have to worr about turbo failure, surgeing, over boosting, underboosting, or turbine malfunction. the vr6 is a very solid engine and has soem pretty good potential and is great out of the box, well with suspension.

Modified by ninja_van1sh at 8:48 AM 7-1-2003

·
Banned
354 Posts
Re: 1.8t or VR6? (ninja_van1sh)

I drove both the 1.8t and the VR6 and I liked the feel of the 1.8t more, something about how the turbo feels, I have put very little money into my car so far (exhaust, intake, D/V) and I feel that is just as fast as my friends VR6, besides I still get better Gas milage than him!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.