VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T with about 78K miles; have owned it for the last 50K miles. A friend of mine told me I should switch to synthetic oil. I don't know if I have a sludge problem or not. So -- what are the potential problems if I switch to a synthetic oil now? Do I need to run some sort of cleaner through the engine first or with the first few synthetic oil changes? Or at this point do I just stick with the regular oil and hope for the best? I do not change my own oil; I was taking it to the dealer but have now moved to one of the quick oil change places.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (likemyjetta)

Quote, originally posted by likemyjetta »
I don't know if I have a sludge problem or not.

Pull the valve cover.Only way your going to tell how your engine internals may look.If it looks like this:

Then you have a problem.If not then your good to go.
Quote, originally posted by likemyjetta »

what are the potential problems if I switch to a synthetic oil now?

None...Oil is Oil.
FWIW the only 1.8T's that had a sludge problem was the previous 058 1.8T's (AEB) where users would change there oil every 20,000 km's and expected miracles

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

Never too late to go synthetic, just don't go back afterwards. Need to be running synthetic in that engine anyhow. I have heard of sludging up the oil pump in these engines, so you should definatly start taking care of this now. FYI- keep an eye on those "quick oil change places", to be sure that they prime the oil filter before installation ......they like to get lazy and not do this on turbo charged vehicles. Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Re: (nu2gti)

"priming the oil filter" is not necessary. the turbo has oil in it already, so youre good. if you want to waste your time with it, have at it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
ya, keep u're eye on them by laying down next to u're car and stare at the guy in the pit under it....
once i got a VW i change my own oil

·
Registered
6 Posts

its always better to change your own oil that way you know its getting done right and there not dumpin the crapy oil in and taking the synthetic for them self. i was out of town and the car needed an oil change my wife took it to one of the quick oil change places and i came home and checked the oil and it was regular i was pissed i went back and made them give me the oil and a new filter and a full refund of my money. they wernt to happy they had to buy a mann filter lol couse i had the stuff already lol! change it yourself!!!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (01GreenMachine)

Quote, originally posted by 01GreenMachine »
i was out of town and the car needed an oil change my wife took it to one of the quick oil change places and i came home and checked the oil and it was regular i was pissed i went back and made them give me the oil and a new filter and a full refund of my money.

Unless you looked at the receipt and it said it on there, how would you know if it is regular or not?
Labs have a hard time determining if an oil is synthetic.
Just curious.
To the OP, switch to synthetic. You might want to look up some info about Auto-RX.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (StoicDude)

Quote, originally posted by StoicDude »
Unless you looked at the receipt and it said it on there, how would you know if it is regular or not?

I was wondering the same thing myself?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (atlaudispeed)

Quote, originally posted by atlaudispeed »

I was wondering the same thing myself?

I think all you have to do is taste it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
wow this thread is full of some odd stuff.
Priming the oil filter is not necessary. No oil change place will do that. It is a waste of time and not necessary.
As far as telling the difference between dyno oil and synthic by looking at....I would love you know you did that.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (RobMan8023)

Quote, originally posted by RobMan8023 »

I think all you have to do is taste it.

Do you check the coolant like this as well?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: (liquidvw)

Quote, originally posted by liquidvw »
wow this thread is full of some odd stuff.
Priming the oil filter is not necessary. No oil change place will do that. It is a waste of time and not necessary.
As far as telling the difference between dyno oil and synthic by looking at....I would love you know you did that.

Most people agree this isn't neccessary, but it certainly won't hurt anything either. Plus I've noticed when they do oil changes on TV (Speed network) they prime the filters so it can't be that bad. It takes like what 2 extra seconds? Whats the big deal?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (Wizard-of-OD)

Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »

Pull the valve cover.Only way your going to tell how your engine internals may look.If it looks like this:

Shoulda poured some pepto bismol in there w/ the oil that might-a helped.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Re: (liquidvw)

You are all right, priming the oil filter is not necessary in the way that the engine will fail if you don't, but it is a good percautionary step. Priming will prevent you from pushing any air through the oil lines, oil pump and subsequently your turbo. Like I said, it won't cause a big prob, but still a nice thing to do for your VW. As for the "no oil change place will do that for you" thing........ they should. Its in all thier training manuals. I did my time in the oil change pits of hell long ago, and am glad to say I never NOT primed a turbo vehicle. It's simply the right thing to do. And yes, a VW owner should just do it themselves. It builds a nice, strong, healthy relationship between you and your dub!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts

i have always primed my filter... not like its a huge step thats out of the way.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (Wizard-of-OD)

Well, I'm female and car-impaired so I pay a reliable mechanic to do all the repairs. He just replaced the timing belt, water pump, etc., but he didn't need to remove the valve cover. To do that (which involves replacing the gasket, I guess) would be about $120. Is there any way to figure out if I have sludge without spending that money? What would happen IF I have sludge and switch to synthetic oil?
Same with changing the oil on an ongoing basis. Realistically, I'm not going to do it myself.
I'm trying to get this car to go 200K miles, you guys. What other advice do you have?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

If you have extremely bad problems with this, it would have become evident to you already in the performance of the car or through odd noises. There is absoulutely no problem with going synthetic right now.... don't even think about it any more, just do it. It could even possibly improve the situation. And like I said, don't switch back. Keep your oil changed on time, and you will be fine. Don't let the sludge thing bother you to much. One thing you might do is, have your mechanic do your next oil change. Have him give you his opinion on the oil that came out. He should be able to spot some key things if there is trouble, and suggest the proper treatment. This will save you money in that, you are getting your routine oil change and good advice all in one. (Providing he is trust worthy) Good luck.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Re: 1.8T sludge problem? (atlaudispeed)

Quote, originally posted by atlaudispeed »

Do you check the coolant like this as well?

how do you really KNOW your gas is 93 oct unless you take a few swigs?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts