VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the start...more info and pictures as events warrant

EDIT: OK, just to orient my non-VW-freak friends, here's a bit of a primer. This thread documents my process as I set out to install the motor, transmission, engine electronics, dashboard, seats, cabin electronics, wheels, brakes and various other components from a 2001 Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg Edition (mk4) into my 1996 GTI (mk3). I'm basically building a mk4 with a mk3 shell. From the ground up. There are bound to be a ton of terms that don't make sense to the layman, but give it a whirl anyway. Don't understand something, just let me know. This whole thing is meant to be informative, else I wouldn't be writing it up. If you don't get any of it, check out the pictures...they're good for a laugh.
EDIT AGAIN: all pics updated from SharkyTM's server...here's hoping his host doesn't choke him out because of it.
If you want to see the pictures in high resolution, open the pic in a new window and remove the ".sized" from the URL.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Modified by punkassjim at 4:24 PM 10-29-2004

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (Slap)

Stay tuned for more, kiddies...this is just the beginning. The pictures will get more selective once the real meat-and-potatoes begins

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Re: (Slap)

Quote, originally posted by Slap »
that's alto of pics for very little actual content...

I disagree, I like that pic post. More please. How did you make it thumb nails like that????? That is so much better than 56k beware. (T1 here).

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (dayjayvw)

Quote, originally posted by dayjayvw »

I disagree, I like that pic post. More please. How did you make it thumb nails like that????? That is so much better than 56k beware. (T1 here).

<-------web developer. I like to consider my audience

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Re: (punkassjim)

Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »

<-------web developer. I like to consider my audience

Tell me how man.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Apoc112)

Quote, originally posted by Apoc112 »
i want the WE's wheels.

so do I
not parting.
dayjay, you do it like this:
(url=http://something.com/image.jpg)(img)http://something.com/image_thumb.jpg(/img)(/url)
but use the real brackets

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Re: (PedroPauloDiniz)

Thats why I am happy to skip all the wiring crap, and just throw the 1.8t in with sds. 15 wires sure beats 100, without the 80 whp gain.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (troze1200)

WHAT's why? You haven't seen any details of my swap yet, so you don't know.
That being said, here are the plans, some solid, some in flux:
- Motor swap, essentially stock, with drive-by-wire
- Dash swap et al
- Interior swap, seats only...perhaps including center armrest
- WE Wheels, including 5-lug conversion
- mk4 brakes (including ABS swap), if I can mix the right parts together and make the components fit the hubs
- 02J transmission with cable shift and hydraulic clutch (sourcing 02A mounts to fit)
- mk4 alarm system, including entire comfort system (windows, locks, non-vacuum) if possible
- currently researching sunroof controls swap (dial, one-turn, pinch-protection)
- airbag system (including curtains, if possible)
Good luck with your SDS, I'm sure it'll yield excellent results. I'm going for something a little more suited to my style, and a little more stock, like what VW would (should) have made. Plus I got a gander at Vinnie's SDS setup and I'm not sure I trust myself to get into something of that nature. Seems more foreign to me. Plus I'm not trying to build a monster. What I AM trying to do is a) shave 100,000 miles off my car, b) gain an appreciable amount of horsepower and tunability, c) treat myself to a fun project that I can be proud of, d) prove to myself that I can do anything if I set my mind to it, and e) create something that is SOMEWHAT of a rare find (yeah, yeah Vinnie...I know...three in what radius? 50 miles?
)

Modified by punkassjim at 9:26 PM 6-17-2003

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Re: (VW_GolfFreak)

<---- Soooooo jealous

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Re: (VDoubleUVR6)

major props for taking on the project! I would love to do that.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Re: (punkassjim)

Troze.. you actually doing the SDS 1.8t?? just wrapping mine up hopefully it will start up right away.
Jim.. got the last connector screwed on... got one screw to catch then the other just spun.. so I zip tied it.
So get to work... you gotta get done before Luke

1 - 20 of 700 Posts