VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I absolutely love this MKVI! I sold my 07 BMW 335i E90 last Saturday and picked up my Golf TDI.

Impressions:
-Interior: Well refined, very Audish. A major step up from the MKV. The seats are perfect in terms of comfort and performance (Butt holding ability). The touch screen/ stereo is surprising for a $23K car. I am 6'2" and am comfortable inside the cabin. I have the 4 door model and all five potential passengers would be content.
-Exterior: Sharp lines, and nice subdued styling. It's obviously a VW Golf/ Rabbit upon first glance. The styling is a nice throw back to the older Marks. The headlights are very nice, I love how the housing is black, very modern. The tail-lights are decent, but I recommend getting the MKVI R tails; I will be shortly. I love the blacked out trim. I am a huge fan of blacking out trim, and VW did it perfectly with the high gloss. The TDI/ GTI ride height is good, but I would like it to be a tab bit lower. I already have Eibach's in the mail. The porto's look excellent in the dark graphite that I refinished them in. It should have been an option, but they are 17x7 ET 54. So I'm in the process of getting spacers to make it a little more flush (10mm and 15mm spacers).
Performance: The tranny/ clutch/ shifter is pretty smooth. First gear can be a pain, especially with the A/C and blower motor on a higher setting. I've stalled the car probably 5 times, more than any of my previous manuals combined. I've got the hang of it though. The shifter throw is too long, but a Diesel Geek SSK fixes that. The knob is excellent, and has a nice weight to it. The engine is smooth, and I love hearing the clank and whistle of the turbo diesel. I cut of the muffler and will be running GTI style duals with a GTI rear diffuser here shortly. I also took out the sound damping pad on the hood. I can't wait for the motor to be broken in and at full compression. Also I'm waiting for some downtime, in order to send my ECU to Malone for tuning. Gas mileage is superb, and I just filled up with Chevron Premium diesel and can tell a big difference in terms of power over the cheap diesel that the dealer filled up with. I will be switching all fluids with royal purple at 1k miles, except the motor oil, which I will change with Mobil 1 Truck Diesel. Also I will be tinting the front yellow reflector some time this week.

In short, buy one.

·
Registered
41,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way that is stage 1 of paint. After 1 week I will sand and add several more layer plus a clear coat.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Interesting I dig the calipers, might have to throw a coat of blue on mine. :thumbup:

post pics of exhaust once done, and make sure to finish those wheels up properly.

I also came froma BMW and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

·
Registered
41,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you tape off the tires? Looks like there may be some over spray on them.
Just the rears. I'll just clean the paint off once they fully cure.

Interesting I dig the calipers, might have to throw a coat of blue on mine. :thumbup:

post pics of exhaust once done, and make sure to finish those wheels up properly.

I also came froma BMW and couldn't be happier with the purchase.
The calipers are sweet. I was very hesitant on painting them, but after seeing my brother's MKVI GTI I said screw it. I went with red simply because that's what the GTI's have. Also I have laminex on the way for the side markers. I'll get color matched once they come down in price.

Not sure when I will finish the exhaust, depends on when I order my diffuser.

·
Registered
15,515 Posts
Why risk running a non-VW 507.00 oil in the engine? I dont think Mobil 1 comes in a 507.00. Seriously man, VW has specific requirements for a reason. :screwy:

Otherwise, nice car, nice review. :thumbup:

·
Registered
41,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why risk running a non-VW 507.00 oil in the engine? I dont think Mobil 1 comes in a 507.00. Seriously man, VW has specific requirements for a reason. :screwy:

Otherwise, nice car, nice review. :thumbup:
My bad I thought that the Turbo truck diesel was 507, but it's Mobil 1 ESP that is 507 approved.
Nice review, looks like you're taking no time in throwing on those aftermarket goodies :thumbup:
Yeah I was going to order some VMR's but I already own two sets in non VW fitment and am waiting for 1 set to sell before getting a new set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.