VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a HP goal for my Stock A1. 100 Whp or 125 Crank HP.
The current setup is all stock.
I want to keep the motor non turbo, don't want to do an engine swap. Want use as daily driver.
How realistic is this?
Here are my plans
1) install dual outlet manifold from pre '83 1.x motor, with TT dual down and cat back exhaust.
HP Gain ? ~ 15
2) Install a euro cam.
HP Gain ? ~ 10
What next ? 10 more HP needed ?
Thinner head gasket for higher compression ?
Electronic ignition ?

http://home.mindspring.com/~werthmullers/MYa1.JPG

Modified by ny_fam at 1:21 AM 5-21-2004

Modified by ny_fam at 1:27 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (ny_fam)

This goal is not too hard to attain at all.
Quote, originally posted by ny_fam »
2) Install a euro cam.
HP Gain ? ~ 10
What next ? 10 more HP needed ?
Thinner head gasket for higher compression ?
Electronic ignition ?

A euro cam yes, find something that will suit your call well for what you want it to do. Above anything, make the car breath. 8v are the worst engine at breathing and can use any and all help. Catback system from techtonics does wonders. For non-charged I would stick with a 2-2.25". Downpipe or header is nice. If a downpipe, get a euro manifold as well, just to add some kick. Audi 5000 throttle body doesnt hurt, although I wouldnt worry too much if your shooting for 125hp. Big bore intake and K&N are a must. All that alone will get you quite a ways up there, if not past what you are aiming for, and thats only making the engine breath better. I am running a 10:1 compression and it is a blast, very fun compaired to stock, but Im not too sure how much it improves your hp.
And as stated, a good Port and Polish job will get you there in no time as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (Ares33rc)

Quote, originally posted by Ares33rc »
This goal is not too hard to attain at all.

everything he said is great, the G-grind cam will really open up the midrange, and the audi TB gives your engine great throttle response, and better air intake. Another quick easy mod for more power is a intake manifold from a FOX or audi 4000. they have larger runners and as above allows for better air flow. I am pretty sure that the 4000 TB is damn close to the size of the 5000 also, so just a straight swap of intake mani & TB there.
Since your adverse to engine swaps, options for power above what you are wanting are limited, but if your willing to remove the head totally, a machine shop can deck it for you and raise up the compression to 10:1 which will help out for power. stock is 8.5:1 and is great for turbo/supercharging.. but not the best for naturally aspirated power.. Good Luck!
Rusto

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (Rusto GTI)

92whp here. G-grind, dual outlet mani, TT race dp and 2.25" w/resonator and flowmaster (I think), K&N.
To get to 100 easily, I'd suggest a bigger cam, HD valve springs req'ed.
If you're low on $$$ but have the time, port matching does wonders.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
port matching= super easy
take the intake manifold and gasket... put the gasket on the intake manifold.. trace the outline of the ports in the gasket.. remove gasket, dremel to the lines.. repeat on the head. do the same to the exhaust ports. done and done.
however dont polish the intake ports, the 'knurling' helps deffuse(?) the fresh air..

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (Krautwagen)

i agree... most of the above suggestionis aren't going to get you 100 at the wheels...
-dual outlet manifold: at the least, maybe even a header should be in mind.
-TT/Autotech/Eurosport 2.25" exhaust: mandintory
-G-Grind (euro) cam: isn't going to be enough. gotta go bigger. 272 or more.
-fox or audi intake manifold: isn't going to get you anything. the volume is the same, and the runners are the same dimentions. the angle at which they bend is different, so you might get .5hp at the high end of the RPM range since they're a lil straiter
-headwork: definately get atleast a minor port and polish
-bottom: might wanna think of either a higher compression 1.8 from an A2 8v GTI/GLI or go with a 2 liter swap... both should include knock sensor. if you don't wanna swap the bottom end, you should definately shave a lil off the head so to bump your compression a few points (compression gives the most HP gain for the $)
THEN you'll be on the right track for 100+ at the wheels

Modified by The Nothing at 11:31 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
5,708 Posts

hmmm i wonder if im there already
stock at the crank the MKII gti is meant to have 112hp?........
i've got full exhaust 2" with racer headers and a cam gear.....straight through no cat.
maybe almost there...........i should dyno it to find out.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (The Nothing)

Quote, originally posted by The Nothing »

<SNIP>
-fox or audi intake manifold: isn't going to get you anything. the volume is the same, and the runners are the same dimentions. the angle at which they bend is different, so you might get .5hp at the high end of the RPM range since they're a lil straiter

The runners are the same. The plenum is bigger, so the flow is slightly better.
The big advantage to the Audi 4000/VW Fox manifold is that you can run the larger Audi throttle body on these manifolds easily (without porting the throttle body area and repairing the damage where you grind all the way through). The larger throttle body is good for a significant hp gain, especially with a good exhaust system. All Audi 4000's, Audi 5000's, Digifant-II VW Foxes and all A2 Golfs and A2 Jettas have the larger throttle body. The secondary is 52mm on those instead of 46mm on the stock A1 throttle body. That's an increase in throttle bore cross section area of about 25%.
It also helps to increase the size of the pipe between the CIS fuel dizzy and the throttle body, and to open the airbox inlet to a larger opening and pipe that to a cool air source. 3" thin wall PVC pipe and fittings work well for this. And a K&N filter doesn't hurt either.
With a good flowing exhaust, the larger throttle body and larger intake piping, and something around a G Grind cam (or a bit more in an aftermarket cam), 100-110 hp at the crank is pretty easy to get to. Port matching the intake manifold to the head helps some too, and shaving the head or block deck for a bit more compression should get you to 100hp+ at the wheels.

·
Registered
267 Posts

If you don't want to shave the head to gain some compression, you can buy a copper head gasket and raise it to 9.5:1. That's what I did as I wanted it to be reversable if need be. The only place I know of that sells these is Jose at porttuning.com.
Once my car is back together, I will have a dual outlet mani (ported), TT race dual-downpipe, autotech 2" exhaust, autotech G-grind, everything's gasket-matched, big bore TB, K&N, and 9.5:1 compression. It will also have a 3 angle valve job. I'm really hoping for 100 whp

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (PeterRabbit)

i made 145 whp with a jh block, bored and stroked to a 2070, schrick 288, 10:1 comp, and gasket matched head, euro cis, and custom exhaust and header. ran mid 13's with 75 shot of nos. it's should make more power soon, hopefully near 180 whp. i'm rebuilding with more compression ported head and engle 288 duration .480 lft cam, and carbs. i had a jh bloch with stock internals with a exetemly shaved head and a schrick cam make 110 whp

Modified by screamin8vgti at 10:46 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (PeterRabbit)

If at 9:5:1 Do I need to run knocksensors ? or premium fuel ?
I think I did see those gaskets on the net. When you installed it, did you need to shave the head to make sure it was exactly straight ?
How much HP do you think you got from going from 8:5:1 to 9:5:1 ?
Thanks for the info.
Derek

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (Racer_X)

Does the 5th injector get in the way with a Fox/audi 4000 intake installed on a A1 rabbit ?
I assume that the TB is on the same side as stock A1 rabbit?
Thanks for the info.
Derek http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

TB is on the same side
most people drill and tap the end of the manifold and cap off the stock fox injector port...

·
Registered
247 Posts
my friends scirocco was dyno'd at 101 hp
he has a tt2.25 cat back, a header, golf tb., and a euro grind cam thats nothing shaved or p&p just bolt ons

·
Registered
687 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (The Nothing)

what kinda hp am i looking at?? im using a 2.0 aba block with a PandP 3 angle valve job 1.8 head with a tt cam 276 i believe, audi 5000 TB and a light weight flywheel, tt euro downpipe and full exhaust with no cat.... will i be able to get to 160 hp??? or am i

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (DJsRabidRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by DJsRabidRabbit »
what kinda hp am i looking at?? im using a 2.0 aba block with a PandP 3 angle valve job 1.8 head with a tt cam 276 i believe, audi 5000 TB and a light weight flywheel, tt euro downpipe and full exhaust with no cat.... will i be able to get to 160 hp??? or am i

maybe at the crank if your lucky.... your in tacoma too

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Re: 100 whp goal from 1.8 A1 (screamin8vgti)

My current 2l 8v dynoed at 111.9 hp and 112 torque at wheels. It has same exhaust and cam as my first rabbit (1.8), which only dynoed at 94 hp at wheels. The 1.8 had very lightly ported head, and shaved head for higher compression. I had all the usual goodies. Dual outlet manifold, tt downpipe, 286 solid lifter cam, larger tb. I personaly would go ABA block. Current head is untouched.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts