VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an 89 Jetta GTX. It has a 1.8 16V and runs extremely well. I want to make her a bit faster however. I have a $1000 budget (parts only...I have access to cheap labour). What would be the best bang for the buck. Only mod to date is a TT catback with borla! Any and all help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Derek

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: $1000 budget!!! (YourHondaIsPoop)

Don't want FI. I already have a blown VR6 so I would like to keep this NA! My thoughts were a nice set of cams (or maybe just a Euro intake cam), the fuel enrichment module and maybe a K & N filter. Would you recommend one enrichment module over another? Also, for daily use, what cams would best suit my application. Lastly, with these mods in place would you recommend a 50mm intake?
Thanks a lot you guys!
Cheers
Derek

· Registered
677 Posts
Re: $1000 budget!!! (GINCH)

if you're gonna do cams and more fuel, you gotta open up the exaust too, the k and n wont hurt either, and sure, the euro intake manifold would be great, it'll run you like 200.. people are makin copies of the tt fuel enrichment module for like 40 bucks, search and find one, or make your own. so so far: 40 dollars for the fuel enrichment, 500 for some cams, and 200 for the 50mm intake. the k and n really wont do much tho

Modified by YourHondaIsPoop at 9:30 PM 11-14-2004

· Registered
4,732 Posts
Re: $1000 budget!!! (YourHondaIsPoop)

make your own enrich kit with a potentiometer in it so you can adjust the resistance and tune it as you want.

Quote, originally posted by YourHondaIsPoop »
if you're gonna do cams and more fuel, you gotta open up the exaust too

pull your head out of your butt, he has an exhuast.

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: $1000 budget!!! (sixteenvalve)

Yup, I've already got a tt w/ borla. I'm certainly not handy enough to make my own enrichment module, though so I would have to leave that up to someone else. Would these mods make a relatively significant increase in performance?
Cheers
Derek

· Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: $1000 budget!!! (S4mig)

Quote, originally posted by S4mig »
Suspension and new performance engine mounts. get that power to the ground.

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified. My only motor mod is the exhaust. It already has FK 60/40 mm kit. A pic of the Jetta!

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Re: $1000 budget!!! (GINCH)

Quote, originally posted by GINCH »
I can't chip it because it is a CIS-E! Thats why I think I need the fuel enrichment!

I think the set up for the CIS-E is good enough up to 160-170bhp.... right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.