VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to cover how to make the wires. I got mine from fellow vortexer awwsheeet. It saved me the trouble from sourcing 4 gauge ground wire that is heat, oil and UV resistant, gold ring terminals, terminal surrounds, and an impact terminal crimper. I am pretty sure if you dont mind the hassle and you have the impact crimper, you can save some dollars there.
Begin by disconnecting the battery's positive and negative terminals. If you need me to explain how to do this, stop! Ask a friend to put the grounding kit for you!
The first step is to remove the ignition wires from the coilpack. Tug the wires firmly but be careful. Note the which wire goes where. At the end of this how to you will find a picture to help you reconnect the wires correctly. Pull the wires so the come off the engine cover groove they run in.
Once you pull the wires from the groove some new screws will be exposed. The engine cover scews are Torx 30 except for the one in the back by the TB and the one on the left by the passenger headlight. Those two bolts are Torx 20. Carefully pass the ignition wires thru the holes in the main engine cover and remove the all covers. Remvoe the cylinder 1 ignition wire, it is going to make the install easier.
Now, you need to identify all the bolts you are going to use to put the grounding kit:
- Intake Manifold Support bracket bolt by the Throttle body, 6mm allen bolt:

- Coilpack bolt, 5mm allen bolt:

- Driver side fender bolt, make sure you use this bolt not one of the painted bolts in the fender, Torx 30 or 10mm socket:

- Passenger side engine bolt, 6mm allen, if you didnt already, remove cylinder 1 ignition wire:

- Passenger side fender bolt, again make sure you use this bolt not one of the painted bolts in the fender, Torx 30 or 10mm socket:

The shortest of the wires supplied to me goes from the intake manifold support bracker by the TB bolt to the coilpack bolt. The second shortest wire goes from the battery ground terminal to the driver side fender bolt The third shortest goes from the coilpack bolt to the battery gound terminal. My stock ground terminal has a threaded post, I happend to have a nut that fitted the thread. You can use the same nut as the one that secures the terminal to the battery post. The last wire goes from the passenger side engine bolt to the passenger side fender bolt. Dab in dielectric grease the bolt heads and wire terminals for both fender bolts since water and grime accumulate there.
The is how the wires look after the bolts are tightened:
- Intake manifold support bracket by the TB bolt

- Coilpack bolt:

- Driver side fender bolt:

- Battery ground terminal:

- Driver side engine bolt:

- Passenger side fender bolt:

Reassemble in reverse order, make sure you reconnect the ignition wires to the coilpack:

Finished install:

If you want to see larger pics of any or all the pics, browse my gallery: http://dubs.unixprohost.com/GroundingKit
Follow this instructions at your own risk. Grounding kits are sold for off road use only!
I havent taken the car out for a drive yet. I will report when I come back from our local weekly meeting!

Modified by ROCKnRLR at 7:46 AM 8-23-2004

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (ROCKnRLR)

Excellent writeup Jose - as usual! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (Der Kommissar)

I havent driven much but dunno if it is the placebo effect or if the car is realy peppier. Dunno if gas mileage has come down since I havent been able to keep my foot off the gas pedal,

I need to wipe the silly grin I have in my face!

·
Banned
8,927 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (freezermink)

these alot of electrical systems in your car working at once. when you add stuff to it esp electrical stuff like head units and systems and chipping yoru car or messing with any of it...it will add to the static in the system. this isnt good. the more static the more confusion in the strenght of the current going thru your system. having a grounding kit will make sure you have all that power and less static. give better everything that deals with the electics. better throttle response (drive by wire which is electical as opposed to cabel with is mechanical) better sound system sound (big a$s electrical item) , smooth surging....better gas milage due to better fuel management....more hp due to better fuel management.....and better hp up top cause the spark required up top rpm is very very high. you need a strong ground near the coil packs to make sure the spark is strong!
any questions ask me

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (awwsheeet)

Quote, originally posted by awwsheeet »
these alot of electrical systems in your car working at once. when you add stuff to it esp electrical stuff like head units and systems and chipping yoru car or messing with any of it...it will add to the static in the system. this isnt good. the more static the more confusion in the strenght of the current going thru your system. having a grounding kit will make sure you have all that power and less static. give better everything that deals with the electics. better throttle response (drive by wire which is electical as opposed to cabel with is mechanical) better sound system sound (big a$s electrical item) , smooth surging....better gas milage due to better fuel management....more hp due to better fuel management.....and better hp up top cause the spark required up top rpm is very very high. you need a strong ground near the coil packs to make sure the spark is strong!
any questions ask me

thanks yo. makes sense. i'm an old mk2 guy, but i'm catching on... its certainly something on my list now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,927 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (freezermink)

also the better the car is grounded the less the kit is going to do for the car. old cars and cars with mods actully make more power with this kit. people with hondas and old cars get massive gains cause this grounding kit solves all their grounding needs and provides them with grounding points inplace of other points that might have rotted out or is less than functional!
i seen a honda get 17 extra hp from a grounding kit!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (amphibia)

This kit is in my car
what i have noticed:
i now produce VERY consistent gas milage (highway tested only since there are too many extraneous variables in city driving)
my VR6 gets an average of 30 mpg...previous to fitting the kit i averaged about 27-30. now its a consistent average of 30 mpg. (according to the average mpg reading on my MFA display)
-my sound system has a more consistent sound now.
-my Volt Meter does not flicker/blip/drop-rise/etc now. Voltage has remained constant, lights do not fade when bass hits.
-there is a significant increase in throttle response as well. (nothing like cams, FI, etc. but the top end has improved)

these guys have installed kits on a few of my friends cars as well, all had good reports with claims of significant differences in their cars behavior.
the wiring they use is extremely stiff and top quality as well.

this kit is also very simple to instal, and anyone that can read directions will not find a difficult task installing it.
-only one problem (not even worth complaining about) was i beleive the COILPACK step. this one took all of 3 minutes, so still very simple
this was the step i am talking about.
(i wasnt paying attention and i busted the bridge of my nose on my boser hood
)
these guys are great, they use good quality stuff, and will stand behind whatever they make http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by VR6 BeelzeDub at 8:05 AM 6-11-2004

·
Registered
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gave it my best effort this morning in my way to work. It is a commute about 15 miles long, 60% street/40% highway (time) or 25% street/75% highway (distance) ratio. Average speed on the highway was 55-60MPH. I was able to make it here on 29.7MPG. Not too bad for a 3150lb (plus whatever extra I have in the trunk) car with CAI, chip, cams and exhaust.
I dont think I will be granma driving again anytime soon!

Modified by ROCKnRLR at 7:42 AM 6-11-2004

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Re: 12V VR6 Grounding Kit, How-to (roly)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE revise these instructions.
Do you realize that the stock intake manifold is PLASTIC, and HAS NO GROUNDING CAPABILITY???? Why would you attach a grounding wire to something that does not ground?
There are two bolts in these instructions that thread right into the intake manifold.
Who came up with these instructions?

Modified by tyrolkid at 10:47 PM 6-11-2004

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.