VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw it on CityTV news. A woman who was involved only in one accident, had to pay $13,000 a year
for her 1996 VW Golf. I think it was a 96 judging by the colour. She got lucky and found an insurance broker who takes in clients who can't find reasonable rates anywhere else, and now she pays $4000.
Wow.

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (mojojojo.ca)

Quote, originally posted by mojojojo.ca »
That rate should be criminal. I am sicked that the new leader in Ontario hasn't yet done something about the insurance prices.

Geez, give the guy a break. He's only been in office a few months. It's not like he just waves a magic wand and all the problems are solved.

· Banned
7,087 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (mojojojo.ca)

96 golf is what..$5000..so they are charging over 100% of her cars value each year? WTF?!?! Atleast if she's in an accident she's already paid to cover the 120% of the cars value they will pay out to fix it.

· Registered
208 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (MEIN_VW)

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

Geez, give the guy a break. He's only been in office a few months. It's not like he just waves a magic wand and all the problems are solved.

Right! But he does seem to have a magic wand that he waves to break all of his campaign promises within days of being elected!
I wonder if the are people that sit in the backrooms of insurance companies and try to out-do eachother with rediculous quotes.
"Oh yeah? I match your $14,000 96 VW and raise you a $14,500 91 Geo Metro!"

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (HADA 11)

Quote »

well he certanly waved his magic wand to allow the construction of 5,500 homes on the moraine. and he's about to raise his wand again and lift taxes

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (lostchild)

That is stupid. Seriously how can anyone pay $13 000 for a 96 golf? It's not a freaking Ferrari. I'm sure she's been with her insurance company for long enough to pay for the damage she caused unless she crashed against a house and the house fell.

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (VW_GolfFreak)

Quote, originally posted by VW_GolfFreak »

well he certanly waved his magic wand to allow the construction of 5,500 homes on the moraine. and he's about to raise his wand again and lift taxes

The previous government left a legacy of a high deficit and contract deals that were already made that the new government cannot just cancel.
But back the topic.
That $13,000 seems way too high. I've had 1 at-fault accident and 3 tickets in the last 3 years and that's put me into a high-risk category but I'm still not paying anywhere near what this lady was quoted. There has to be a reason why her quote was so high.

Modified by MEIN_VW at 6:39 AM 1-13-2004

· Registered
208 Posts

Even at $4000 she's paying too much. You know the ins industry is a disaster when $4000 is your lowest quote after a single claim.
It's a crime that we can't do anything about it. Infact it's exactly oposite, we're forced to pay it.
As I understand it, the insurance companies lost so much $ on the stock market (not 9-11 as they'd have you believe) that the only way they could turn a profit (to please shareholders) was to increase rates. Bastards.
BTW - Ontarios defict was PUBLIC information before the election and the Liberals CAMPAIGNED on how high the defict was. Now, they've waived their magic wandto make it seems as though the defict was some sort of surprise. They knew about the deficit before the election. The Liberals use it as a scapegoat now that they realize their campaign promises were bogus and nobody will do anything about it for 4 years!

· Registered
242 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (HADA 11)

As I understand it, the insurance companies lost so much $ on the stock market (not 9-11 as they'd have you believe) that the only way they could turn a profit (to please shareholders) was to increase rates. Bastards.
Yes thats exactly it....they are recovering from the Bre-X & Nortel shares they put all of your premiums towards

This topic has been beaten to death.....when the news reports on anything else everyone is soo skeptical but when they report on a business we all believe them....do you really think with just 1 claim a company would be charging $13,000 where one could get insurance for $4,000....something is definatley missing in this story..
Companies can not deny anyone insurance so if you are percieved as a bad risk they will probably quote you higher in hopes of 2 things.
1) You are
to pay it
2) You go elsewhere, which is what they really want.
The type of car matters for the most part but you can be driving a 1979 Pinto worth "basic transportation" and still pay the same...the companies are not losing money on the Collision or Comprehensive portions, they are losing big time on the Accident Benifits & Liability portion.....you know the ones where a minor fender bender turns into a 25 million dollar lawsuit resulting in loss of wages, potential income etc..etc.. go visit a local therapy clinic....a private insurer pays about $65-$80 per session...The same session when an insurance company is paying is $175-$250 ........and the stories can go on & on & on...for every "$13,000 for a 96 Golf" I can give you 100 real life scenarios from both sides!!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: $13,000 car insurance for a '96 golf! (Big Dac With Fries)

Quote, originally posted by Big Dac With Fries »
I paid $3200 a year on my 1991 Jetta when I was 18. That was like 120% of the car's blue book value!
- dac

It's not the value of the car we are paying for. It's the cost of the liability lawsuits we're paying for. Not taking their side. I think they're crooks too but we are also paying for the wimpy scammers and their frivolous lawsuits.

· Banned
1,999 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

The previous government left a legacy of a high deficit and contract deals that were already made that the new government cannot just cancel.
Modified by MEIN_VW at 6:39 AM 1-13-2004

That is nothing compared to the NDP deficit of $ 15 billion they left the PC government.
You should be happy they got it down to 5 billion in such a short period of time.
and second no one should hold their breathe for Dalton & Martin to do anything, because they are busy breaking promises.... typical Liberals.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.