VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 97 jetta GLS which comes with the 2.0 (115) horsepower. I hope to have it running high 12's, low 13's, but I have no idea what kind of potential my engine has. I have money for a swap but don't want to go and waste it, so if you know anything about the 2.0 potential could ya help me out?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (DrAvoido811)

right now that thing is probably running like a 17+ second quarter mile. you will need a lot of money to make that thing run 12's

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

hehehehehe... the ol' 2.slow.... custom turbo is ur best option..... check out the new euro tuner.. theres a 2.0 jetta that runs 11's i think, its not easy at all....

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (BrownSoda)

it's going to take more than just a lot of money to make a 2.0 break into the 12's. It's going to take a small fortune. It's do able..but very costly.

·
Banned
1,910 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (rocket vr6)

wow a 12 second 2 slo...you better have some deep pockets man http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
221 Posts

to get a 2.0 to that point you'll have to put a big enough turbo in it to blow a piston! So, I'd do forged pistons, cams, BIG ASS ball bearing turbo, perfornamce fmu, clutch, valve springs, 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust... that should get you a good 250 hp rough guess....
It'll cost you about 5k on the steep end tho.
Good luck!

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (alpine4me)

Quote, originally posted by alpine4me »
to get a 2.0 to that point you'll have to put a big enough turbo in it to blow a piston! So, I'd do forged pistons, cams, BIG ASS ball bearing turbo, perfornamce fmu, clutch, valve springs, 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust... that should get you a good 250 hp rough guess....
It'll cost you about 5k on the steep end tho.
Good luck!

not really that hard, lot's of thinking and r & d...and you don't need a bigturbo to do it..i did it with a mild t3/4..but like any f/i project, it will be spendy..reagardless of 2.0 or vr...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (Us2bA4dr)

Now I don't know much about VWs, but for sure you are going to have to break down the engine. Drop the compression, work over the head (Full P & P, bigger valves, bigger combustion chamber), port the intake, port match all the gaskets, build the bottom end (Stud the crank strong rod bolts), good turbo / intercooler and one hell of a tuner (GREAT fuel management system). Lots more, but that’s off the top of my head.
Jason

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (OnlyOneV8KILLR)

With turbos, it's all about the combo!!!!!!!! Don't go off and get the bigest badest parts out there. It's all about how the parts work together!!!
Jason

·
Banned
773 Posts

You owe me a 12 second car

But Dom even if we overnight some parts from Ja-Pan a 2L will never run 12's, not unless your Eddie the Vortex Superstar

·
Registered
12,715 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OnlyOneV8KILLR »
With turbos, it's all about the combo!!!!!!!! Don't go off and get the bigest badest parts out there. It's all about how the parts work together!!!
Jason

exactly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
efficiency is the key

·
Banned
773 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OnlyOneV8KILLR »
Can you up the dissplacement in any way, bore or stroke? Where is the weak point on those engines?
Jason

Everything... there is a reason that VW only sent the x-flow 2L to America.. cause us silly Americans look as cars as transportation not a driving experience
.. if you are that interested in becoming 2Fast 2Furious.. swap in a 1.8T with the basic mods.. or a VR6T.. the money it would take to get an ABA that deep into the clock would be enormous

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (CountBlah.......)

Quote, originally posted by CountBlah....... »

Everything... there is a reason that VW only sent the x-flow 2L to America.. cause us silly Americans look as cars as transportation not a driving experience
.. if you are that interested in becoming 2Fast 2Furious.. swap in a 1.8T with the basic mods.. or a VR6T.. the money it would take to get an ABA that deep into the clock would be enormous

hahahaha, I'm not building for the 13s/12s..........been there done that. I'm building for the mid 8s.
Jason

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Shouldn't be too hard with the right turbo setup. There is a guy here in NorCal running low 12s with pretty basic setup (and yes i've seen the motor, talked to the driver/owner and saw him run a 13 flat during which he blew and intercooler tube or he would have gone faster). He was running a t3/t4 (i think), pretty much atp's kit/software with an fmu. Stock head but built bottom and built tranny. It was a goldish colored 4 door nearly stock looking cept for the slicks. I'm pretty sure he's on the boards but not sure if he frequents them.
Basically... 2.0 in the 12s can be done. Just plan ahead and do it right the first time!
Dan

·
Registered
516 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (ThugGTi)

check latest issiue of euro tuner.. theres an 11 second jetta in there.. 2.0t i know some ppl know about it.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DrAvoido811 »
Hi, I have a 97 jetta GLS which comes with the 2.0 (115) horsepower. I hope to have it running high 12's, low 13's, but I have no idea what kind of potential my engine has. I have money for a swap but don't want to go and waste it, so if you know anything about the 2.0 potential could ya help me out?

so, u are asking how to make your car run 13s.
.....well,good luck making your car run 13s

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Re: 13 Second Jetta (Darrell)

im surprised this thread lasted... anyways... anythings posible........ yes, even a toyota echo running 12's... yes

1 - 20 of 78 Posts