VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to take it to the track. This is a bit more creative writing 101 than econ 101 (oh snap, I went there
), but I figured I hadn't updated in a while and TCL really doesn't get enough Miata threads (
).
So this isn't a build thread or even a picture update, but hopefully you guys will enjoy it.
Quote »
Cacophony. That’s the only way to describe the sound that permeates the cabin as the tach needle sweeps past 4,000RPM. The normally melodious warble of the aftermarket muffler is choked off by the muted drone imposed by the factory airbox. The 1600cc engine wheezes in air as though snorting it through mucus-clogged nostrils. For once, I think to myself, I’ll be looking forward to having my helmet on. 80MPH. Solid as a rock.
This is pre-tech.

http://www.speedsportlife.com/...miata/

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (PassSedanGLX)

I get some good seat time in my girlfriends parents bone stock (power-wise) 1990 Miata.
I had the 'pleasure' of a road trip in the middle of June to Wilmington with no AC. I've driven that route plenty of times in my Mazdaspeed. The cars are totally different animals but you can tell, they share the same soul.
I swear to them that if they ever sell it I will be one of the first to make an offer. Can't go wrong with an almost-stock NA Miata with less than 65K on the odo.
Look forward to more.

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (DISI 2.3T)

Thanks for the comments guys.
There are a lot of leftover comfort issues that I've yet to address with the car, so it's not much of a DD right now. There's a wicked dash rattle that I need to isolate (it's underneath somewhere) and I need to re-attach the antenna cable (it got torn during the roll bar install), but for a 210k car it's remarkably healthy. If our lives went to hell and we had to sell the other cars, the Focus and Miata would get us to and from work with little effort, I think.
We've got lots of SSL content coming up over the next couple weeks. Jack has a race this weekend (though his family has taken a front seat since the arrival of his boy) and I think Reesie might have something cooked up too. Hopefully I'll have something longer than "it broke" to report after my trip to Summit next week.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (volkswagen vagen)

look up the capital driving club, they run a popular Autox series
search around for who is holding events on the washington circuit at summit point.

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (volkswagen vagen)

Quote, originally posted by volkswagen vagen »
Great write up! Where can I learn more about Autox in the NOVA area?

NASA, BMW CCA, MSCW, Autocrossers, Inc., Capital Driving Club and SCCA all host events in the D.C. area. I prefer NASA.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (PassSedanGLX)

Good read.
Captures the necessary sweat and work of ownership, and the joy that makes it all worth it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (capsaicin)

Have fun at the track, Byron. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm a bit envious--I've never experienced the thrill of driving on the track in a car I can call my own--but based on what I've seen so far with the S:S:L crew, I'm happy to continue going out in loaners.

·
Registered
16,949 Posts
Re: $1350 Miata Update -- It's Time.. (crazyreesie)

Funny, I had no idea you were behind SSL. Good stuff, I read the site regularly, and just read the Miata article.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.