VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit.

This is super late. Both seats are in and fully functional. After figuring out the passenger seat the driver seat felt a lot easier to tackle. Use the link below for wire maps on both seats. Remember this info applies to my car/seats and could vary based on the year/model of your car. This information is just knowledge for the community and I am not responsible for anything that happens to anyone's car.

Wire Map: https://i.imgur.com/JAwJOcu.png

Some pictures:
- One seat in: https://i.imgur.com/lUuJ5j6.jpg
- Both seats in: https://i.imgur.com/rsjIZjt.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/9nHUjrn.jpg

========
Airbag Wires
========

Connectors on my VW seats didn't match the Audi seats so I cut and swapped them. Wire colors didn't match either so had to match up the colors.

==================
PODS (Passenger Seat Only)
==================

This is for the passenger occupancy detection system (PODS) in the seat. There should be a small controller on the bottom of both passenger seats. You'll need to swap this over to your Audi seat. Luckily, the wiring harness for the PODS is exactly the same on my seats and the Audi seats so I didn't have to make any wiring changes. The bladder sensor was also identical on both seats so I didn't have to swap that either. The PODS harness ties in with the passenger seat buckle so you'll have to cut the seat belt plug from your VW seat and tie it into the Audi harness.

===
Heat
===

The VW seat has a small module under it that controls heat for both front seats. Reference the wire map for details. You will tie in Audi heating elements to this module which means you'll have to remove it from the VW seat. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of excess wire so you can place it somewhere under the Audi seat and still tie it into the heating elements.

====
Power
====

Although my wiring was sound, there was some trial and error here as I shorted out the controller under the driver seat when bolting it to the car. A word of caution, do not turn the car on (accessory or ignition) while you are pressing any of the movement switches on the Audi seat. This will short out the control box and you'll have to search for a new one on eBay or elsewhere. No fun. The first time I shorted out the controller, I didn't know how it happened, but one night I did exactly as I described above and the controller failed.

Based on my experience with these seats, if the controller for the seat is bad you won't be able to move it at all, but the lumbar support will still function.

PIN 8 on the black VW connectors will be your feed for the seat power.
PIN 5 on the black VW connectors will be your ground for everything.

VW seats have one ground for all connections whereas the Audi harness has the grounds broken out into individual wires.

One other note, the movement switch on the back of the seat back worked on the passenger side when I first got it installed, but since swapping that controller to the driver seat (so I could move it) it no longer functions. Not a huge deal as you can use the switch near the floor, but I've tried to get it working by tracking the seat completely forward and back without any luck.

========
Seat Buckles
========

The passenger seat buckles on both seats have the same internals, but different seat mounts. I carefully split open the casing, popped the sensor off of each seat, swapped them, and then glued the halves back together.

Driver seat buckles on the other hand are completely different. The Audi buckle is identical to the passenger side, but the VW driver side is an older style buckle. A friend of mine was able to transfer the buckle to the Audi seat mount, but I basically destroyed the casing when taking it apart so for now it's being held on by rubber bands lol. Gotta find a used buckle so I can replace it.

========
Impressions
========

These seats are super comfy and they look awesome. They are wider and taller than the OEM GTI seats so the bolster will touch the center console.

One of the main reasons I did this swap was because the driver seat base was busted and my passenger seat had very bad water damage from leaving the window partially open overnight during a rain storm. Figured if I was going to replace them I might as well upgrade.

========
Original Post
========

Hey, guys.

I've been slowly working on this for the past month or so, but need some assistance as I'm not entirely sure how to go about wiring up power/heat on these seats in a car that came with just heated/lumbar leather seats. I have a set of 2014 Audi S5 seats with power and heat, but no memory. So far, I've just been working on the passenger seat and have managed to figure out the PODS, airbag, and the seat buckle. Luckily the wiring for the PODS on the Audi seat is identical to that of the VW. Based on the digging I've done here and on Google the manufacturing date of the seats is important so I'll that this evening for you all as well as the wiring information I've collected so far. Another guy on Vortex put these in his MkVI R so I suspect I should be able to do the same.

Aside from manufacture date on the seats and pin outs on connectors what else would I need to share?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright. Since I've gotten the PODS system down I'm only going to include wiring that I need help identifying for now.

My VW passenger seat shows a build date of 5/30/06 and the Audi passenger seat 11/7/13.

*Indicates primary wire color

Passenger VW Black 10-pin connector (T10b?)

4 - Blue/Black*
5 - Brown
8 - Black/Red*
10 - Blue/Purple*

I was able to find some info on the Audi plugs which I've listed as well

Passenger Audi Red Connector

2 - Green/Black* (Power for rear footwell light)
3 - Brown (Ground line for rear footwell light)
4 - Black/Red* (Power line for control module/motors)
5 - Brown (Ground line for control module/motors)
6 - Green/Orange* (CAN high)
7 - Brown/Orange* (CAN low)

I suspect I only need the wires in position 4 and 5 to power the seats.

Passenger Audi Green Connector

1 - Brown/Green* (Ground line for temperature sensor)
2 - White/Black* (Power line for temperature sensor)
3 - Brown (Ground line for control module/motors)
4 - White/Red* (Power line for seat heating element)

Here I believe I'll just need power for the module unless there's a temperature sensor on the VW connector already, but I don't think there is since there's just four wires.

Let me know if there's any other info needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome job. I have 08 Audi TT s seats in my 06 gti and I couldn’t be happier. They hug a lot better. Only downside is being 2dr. Getting people in the back seat sucks lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome job. I have 08 Audi TT s seats in my 06 gti and I couldn’t be happier. They hug a lot better. Only downside is being 2dr. Getting people in the back seat sucks lol.

They are much more comfy than the VW seats. Had to sit in it for a little bit once it was in the car :p

Did you wire up your TT seats yourself? I ask because I got everything wired up this weekend and put the passenger seat in the car, but only the lumbar works. No movement on the seat. Haven't tested the heat yet either, but power is most important so I can bolt it to the car. The airbag, PODS, and seat buckle sensors all checked in just fine in VCDS so no worries there.

Did notice I forgot to wire up the positive line for the seat position sensor which might prevent movement on the seat completely since it doesn't know where it is, but wanted to know if you had any information that might solve this problem. If you need details on how I wired things let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To be honest I had someone install them for me. I had the heated leather gti seats before hand so I already had power setup for the seats. The guy who installed it took the connectors from my gti seats and replaced the ones on the TT seats. My passenger airbag threw a fault afterwards. The seats move and lumbar functions work no problem. I have not tested the heat though seeing how I live in SoCal it rarely gets that cold. I just have to go take the seats and switch out the bladders so the air bag fault will go away.
Here’s some info that might help. I got the seats from giacuser, great guy and super helpful with info.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113153

Hope this helps alittle!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link. Somehow I didn't find that thread when searching for Audi/VW seat swaps.

Looks like some people there recommend just running two extra lines to the seats and hooking them up that way, but based on the thread I linked in my OP they can be wired up without doing that. Haven't had a chance to mess with them again yet this week. Going to find a way to wire the seat position sensor and see if that helps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Passenger seat is in and fully functional. The seat position sensor was the problem. Once that was hooked up everything started working. Once the driver seat is in I'll update the original post with the wiring I used. For now, gotta wait for the rain to stop before I pull the driver seat out of the car.

·
Registered
'07 MKV GTI APR STAGE 2
8 Posts
I hate to bother a dead thread, but I am going to be doing this exact swap soon, and I was wondering if I could message you if I have any questions. Right now I have the seats, and I do have a VCDS tool as well, so I'm off to a good start, but I still need to do the wiring, and since I am pretty new to modifying cars, it's kind of daunting to me. My GTI didn't come with power or heated seats, will I be able to get all those functions to work on the S5 seats?

I also noted you said you had to move the seats while the accessories and the engine were OFF, were you able to fix that?

Thanks for the guide so far!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!

I recently did this Audi seat swap for MK6 GTI and described it in my blog as detailed as I could.
Went pretty deep into details with schemes and pics.

Want to share it here cause this thread got me started and it appears high in search results on the subject.

Cheers and questions and feedback on the post are very welcome.
Alex

P.S. English is not my native language, please excuse typos, grammar, etc

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Window Motor vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts