VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so I'm thumbing though my Feb 2004 issue of Road and track that arrived today in the mail and there is a 1 page article on the Gen 5 Golf for 2005 and it mentions 140hp TDI 2.0l version avail..
This is the first I have heard of this.
I tried to look at some other threads here but found nothing else.
Anyone have any official news on this?
OR did Road & Track get it wrong??

· Registered
241 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (ceboyd)

I guess it's possible. The 2004 Passat TDI will have (has) a 2l w/ 130hp. So it seems a reasonable thing to expect. I've got a feeling VW is going to break some serious ground in the US with the MKV and next generation Passat in terms of class leading engines and design.

· Banned
3,104 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (HopperTDI)

Quote, originally posted by HopperTDI »
I guess it's possible. The 2004 Passat TDI will have (has) a 2l w/ 130hp. So it seems a reasonable thing to expect. I've got a feeling VW is going to break some serious ground in the US with the MKV and next generation Passat in terms of class leading engines and design.

The B5.5 TDI Passat has 134HP so it's prolly the same engine they'll use in the Golf.

· Registered
13,060 Posts
I would like to see us get GLI versions of Jetta's with the 140hp TDI's, I bet they movee

· Registered
3,876 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ceboyd »
o.k. I'd guess its 140hp for europe but 134 for US with our extra emissions crap

That's still not bad! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (vdubman1)

Quote, originally posted by vdubman1 »

That's still not bad! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

true.. better than my mom's 90hp 2002 Jetta and the current 100hp TDI

· Registered
168 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (amdmaxx)

I've read that the new 2.0L TDI will be available in the Passat but that it won't be available in the Golf V. I doesn't make sense to me, but if that is true, I won't buy a Golf V, especially w/o HID as an option. Thank you very much VW, and I mean it. I'm glad that you are luring me out of your unreliable car for good if that comes true.

Even if the Golf V will be equipped with the new TDI, I think it will come late. In between those time, competitors would have filled what VW has missed. Well done VW.

· Registered
13,060 Posts
Give them points for trying to try. lol

· Banned
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (psychoart)

Quote, originally posted by psychoart »
I've read that the new 2.0L TDI will be available in the Passat but that it won't be available in the Golf V. I doesn't make sense to me, but if that is true, I won't buy a Golf V, especially w/o HID as an option. Thank you very much VW, and I mean it. I'm glad that you are luring me out of your unreliable car for good if that comes true.

Even if the Golf V will be equipped with the new TDI, I think it will come late. In between those time, competitors would have filled what VW has missed. Well done VW.

o.k. so who else sells a TDI car in the USA right now??????????? ...last time I checked, NO ONE!!! Mercedes is going to bring back a newer diesel I hear but that is not priced near VW.... ...or do you just want to buy a diesel truck like a Dodge???

· Registered
13,060 Posts
But they will probably miss many potential buyers, I already know people that want a GOLF V for the 140hp TDI. As do I!

· Registered
25 Posts

o.k. I'd guess its 140hp for europe but 134 for US with our extra emissions crap

Does anybody know where I could find out how much this engine weighs?

· Registered
5,487 Posts

Who cares? A little chiptuning and you'll be closer to 170 hp anyway...

· Registered
4,128 Posts

I dont know about the future of the TDI's in America. Read the newest issue of Car and Driver. They go into detail about how the Jetta, Golf, and Beetle hold 100% of Diesel sales in the US, and that they are illegal in States with California emissions. The emissions standard is going to be raised within the next few years, and the TDI's we know today will not pass anywhere. Read the Car and Driver article...I dont think it's legal for me to scan it in...

· Registered
266 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (mediumbluemetalic)

Well.... if I move back to NYC my TDI will be up for sale just because there isn't a lot of Diesel in the area except out on the highways. Correct me if I'm wrong.
jw

· Registered
192 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (elvis2000)

I don't think the TDI will become illegal to sell. VW will be able to sell the TDI in states with California emissions once the new clean diesel fuel goes into effect in 2006.5. The 2007 model year should be interesting since the CAFE standards go up for the model year 2007. The diesel will be a good clean solution then.

· Registered
10,962 Posts
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (mr.vw)

Keep in mind that starting in 2006, the regulations for sulfur content in diesel fuel change. Ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel will allow the use of emission control technologies which are currently not feasible.
Given that TDI represents something like 40% of VW sales here in Canada, and also given that we have the same as the US Federal emission regulations, I don't think there will be any break in availability; VW would lose much of their sales here.
As for only having the 100hp available in Golf/Jetta, things can be done ... Not yet, perhaps, but it'll happen ...

· Banned
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: 140hp tdi according to Feb 2004 Road & Track (GoFaster)

I heard there isn't even a chip for the newer 100hp diesel being sold today

...but we have an 02 TDI with just 90hp (for now)

Diesel WILL have to become more popular here if gas prices get closer to european prices.
I was just at the auto show yesterday and it's interesting to see the Jeep Liberty will be Diesel and that concept Bronco is Diesel too!

2006 will be VERY interesting for the diesel!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.