VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you put 15" steel rims and snowtires on a 2001 1.8T Jetta with Sports Suspension and 17" Long Beach rims?
I have called many different VW dealers and gotten several different answers. Some say yes others say no its won't clear the brake caliper others say its the sport suspension option that makes it not fit?
What sizes are people using?
205/65/15?
195/65/15?
What kind of tires Artic Alpins (I heard they were very noisy), Pirelli (VW dealers seem to love these 210's and the snowsports as well as Winter Ice)
Come on all you cold weather Vw'ers out there help me stay out of the ditch this winter...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (yjb1975)

Michelin Pilot Alpine's

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

No reason why the 195/65/15 can't work. Best to go with the narrower tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (2xtrms)

I assume you mean that you are using that tire, if so what size and on what type of car (engine, sports suspension?)
I am be quoted about $35 more per tire for the pilots over the reg alpins. Did you do this to get a highed speed rating, H vs Q?

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Why don't u just put on either Michellin Pilot Sport A/S or Michellin Alpine... size 17" 225/45... I think they have em... unless u can have more $$$ to get steelies...

·
Registered
126 Posts

I bought 4 Nokian Haka 1's 195/65 15 and I already had two 15 inch Kosei wheels, so I bought 2 more and I am putting them on in a couple of weeks. My car came with the 17" sport package. They fit my car, and they should fit yours.

·
Registered
284 Posts

As you are no doubt aware, the brakes are the same in all mk4s. Most come with 15s so there is no reason you can't use them. Next time you can, look closely at or measure the brakes' location, and compare it to yours.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (2001Bora)

quote:[HR][/HR]Why don't u just put on either Michellin Pilot Sport A/S or Michellin Alpine... size 17" 225/45... I think they have em... unless u can have more $$$ to get steelies...[HR][/HR]​
I'd bet that the 17" snows would be about $50 per tire more expensive than the 15" version of the same tire. I'd also bet that the 15" will provide better traction in bad weather. In the end, it will be way cheaper for you to buy a set of 15" wheels and mount snow tires on them.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (weissguy)

I am running 15s here in winter (6 inches of snow on the weekend) and 17s in summer, I have no sport suspension, but you should have no problems. I also like th Nokian Hakas, had them on my last car, just using the stock Continentals this winter, but I would go for an H rating as opposed to a Q if you can! You could swap the tires and run 17" snow tires, but that may be more expensive and I do not want any extra chips or damage in the winter so that is why I switch, plus I have two sets !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (CanadianTurbo)

Nokian NRW's here, 205/65/15's, "H" rating, abaout 1/2" bigger in diameter than the 205/55/16's I took off.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Re: 15' Inch Snow's on 1.8T? (bluwlf)

I bought my OEM steelies + Yoko Guardex K2 (195-65-15) bought from a private party. I am going to get either Alpins or Nokias next time around, I feel unsafe going at 140 km/h.
J-F

·
Registered
16,684 Posts

It's difficult to recommend a snow tire to somebody who doesn't say where they live or how they drive their car. Somebody in serious mountain country would go for something that would let them climb the side of a building like a narrow (185 or less) studded Nokian Hakka 1 on 15" steel wheels. Somebody who sees mostly flats and few pot holes could live quite happily with an agressive all season tire on their 17" alloy wheels. If you have reasonable snow driving skills, you can get by in most parts of the world with stock all season tires as long as they still have most of their tread. A VW is a superb snow car as long as you stay off the brakes.
Me? I run the Nokian Hakka Q studless snowtire on 15" some OEM steel wheels I bought used in the Vortex classifieds. I still have my alloy wheels and summer tires on the car at the moment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts