VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 16 valve engine into a 92 Golf Cab and want to know what engine is the best and easiest to swap into this car...1.8 or the 2.0 liter...engine mounts,,can i use the tranny i have now for the swap...need the infor please

· Registered
337 Posts
Re: 16 valve question for a swap (VRRADO)

1st the 92 cab is not a golf its still a rabbit a1 chasis but any 4cylinder vw will bolt into the car you have with very little modification. swapping the wiring is the most difficult part of any swap but not to tough in your case also your tranny will bolt up to a 16v block .. most people use the 88 scirocco motor because it is an a1 chaisis and the exhaust manifold is just right for the job in hand..

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Yeah, what he said. The 1.8l and 2.0l 16v are almost exactly the same from the outside, so they are going to require the same effort to swap. Use the tranny and motor mounts you have now, and use a scirocco eng. wiring, injection, intake, and exhaust manifold and it's very simple. You can do it other ways, but that's the easiest.

· Registered
240 Posts
Re: 16 valve question for a swap (VRRADO)

Your car being a 92 model and not a califorina car, right? this is a digi II car and if you prefer to keep the digi system the non-sirocco 2.0 is the best to use.
Your fuel lines run up the passenger side (rabbits are on the driver side) and will match up with the fuel rail (you will have to get a fuel rail). You'll also have to relocate your air cleaner to the pass side.
If you use the sirocco setup you will have to run new lines to the driver side and mount a cis system, change fuel pump, computer etc.
The mounts are the same with either.
Many will say to ditch the digi II system as others perform better, but for the easiest swap in a digi cabby, 2.0 16v would be easier. A whole lot less wiring to redo (plug and play as they say). The performance capabilities of the digi II setup is another ongoing comment.
Either way check some other threads (the digi II faq is great) for installation how-to's
BTW. re. The rabbit/golf comment... while your car is a rabbit (a1)base they were badged as Golf's on the latter ones (in Canada anyway?) My '91 is a Golf Cabriolet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.