VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the regular Jetta II Forum, but got no responses. Maybe someone here will know.
On a 1990 GLI 2.0L 16 valve, if the #4 spark plug wire does not have the knock sensor sender on it will that affect the way the car runs, if so what will it cause the car to do. The car does have the female connection however the spark plug wire does not have the sender. Will this cause the car to idle funny and stall out. Because I just got the car and noticed this.
Also, for some reason I can't shift into 5th gear. All of the other gears work fine. Evertime I try to shift into 5th it goes into 3rd. Will a shifter bushing rebuild kit fix this problem?

·
Registered
42,780 Posts
Re: 16 valve questions, spark plug wires and shifter assembly (MentalVW)

might try aligning the shifter to try to fix the 5th gear issue. instructions are in the bentley. also..i was pretty sure the knock sensors are on the block
at least on all the cis-e 16vs ive seen, your motronic could be different

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: 16 valve questions, spark plug wires and shifter assembly (ValveCoverGasket)

Your shifter bushings are shot. There are several, cheap and easy to replace, except the one in the shift lever box itself. Still cheap, but takes longer because you have to drop the box from under the car, and the exhaust is in the way so that has to be unhooked too. Still easy, just long. While you're at it replace the two plastic-ended rods (one is all plastic.) They get brittle with age, and one broke while I was removing it to change the bushings
That sender on your #4 wire isn't the knock sensor, but I can't say exactly what it IS. The good news is that 16V wires come apart (the ends twist off, and you can swap the sender over to the new wire.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 16 valve questions, spark plug wires and shifter assembly (Dubai Vol)

Do you think it would be less of a headache to just have a shop do the work on the shifter rebuild. As for the sensor on the #4 wire, how do you twist the ends of? I tried but was afraid of damaging them, which end twists off?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 16 valve questions, spark plug wires and shifter assembly (ValveCoverGasket)

Also the shifter in the car actually looks like it is leaning to the right, it is not vertical. So you guys think it's just bushing not a messed up tranny?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

One last thing, when the exhaust has to be unhooked does it just need to be unhooked from the cat or does the cat have to be unhooked from the downpipe?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

The sensor on the #4 wire is a timing reference sensor, it tells the computer when the cylinder is firing, works in conjuction with the knock sensors to continually adjust the timing as appropriate. The distributor end of the wire should come off, it may be a little reluctant. I did this on a new set of wires, but if you have an old one laying around, take the end off to get a feel for how they come apart.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Your Trans is fine.
Just replace the bushings and the shifter box.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: 16 valve questions, spark plug wires and shifter assembly (greenburrick16v)

As Uranium235 mentioned, the end of the plug wire on the distributor cap should come off, and the loop of the impulse sender slides over the wire. If you don't have the impulse sender, I believe they can be had for $40 new (or even better, get it from someone parting out a 2.0 16v).
If you haven't adjusted the shifter linkages before, I would have someone else do it. I'm in the same boat as you, plus my reverse lockout plate is broken. It takes alot of skill to drive the car now...noone else wants to even try.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It takes alot of skill to drive the car now...noone else wants to even try.
I hear you there! It keeps my girlfriend from taking my GTi to the store! :thumbup: But let me lay this on you, when your coasting to a stop and go to put it in first.... STOP first. But Im sure you know this. A slight mis calculation... you hit reverse instead... OUCHIE bye bye trannie. Ive had a couple close calls there then I bought a new lockout plate thats now half wamped. Maybe Ill make a metal one next time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts