VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the VW family, and this forum.

I just got my VW Jetta SE TSI '16 in September of 2019. I love it so far, but I do have one "complaint"/issue I guess. I've had 2 cars before this (a Chevy Impala and a Mazda :banghead:) both of these cars had transmission failures which is why I'm terrified of what I'm about to post.

The Impala didn't have any issues before the transmission failed, it just... didn't shift one day. The Mazda I could see coming, shifting was always weird, reverse stopped working, and then one day the RPMs would just FLY up before it would shift. A pretty clear sign that something is going on somewhere.

I'm not an expert, at all, in cars and that's why I'm coming here for help and maybe a little bit of guidance.

When I bought my Jetta it came with 50k miles. I've managed to put 10k more on it in a little less than a year. Since I got it though, the transmission has been a bit... funky. When shifting in stop and go traffic, it'll have a little bit of a "jump" I guess you could say. It almost feels like it's just trying to JAM something into the transmission when switching gears. When I'm driving on the highway shifting down and up gears it's fine, so maybe it's just a cold transmission issue? I'm obviously not sure.

I need to check the fluid, because I've been putting that off, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem or if anyone knows what could be going wrong and how to pinpoint the issue? I love this car and I'd hate to have to pay for a transmission replacement or a very expensive fix less than a year of having it and it only have 60~k miles.

The reason I also ask is because a friend of mine recently bought a Dodge Charger with more miles, and more years than mine, and it shifts like a hot knife through a warm stick of butter. It's incredible.

Any advice/suggestions?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've had this problem forever (bought the car new). It is tuned and still does it. Hasn't gotten better or worse. Some have shared this is a normal driving characteristic of the 09G trans (what you have in that car). The car has a learned driving behavior, so if you are in a situation different than how you normally drive, the transmission feels notchy. You can do a reset of the learn function. Goes back to shifting smooth, but then adapts and gets notchy in stop and go traffic again.

Here for other explanations, but that is what I've been told.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had this problem forever (bought the car new). It is tuned and still does it. Hasn't gotten better or worse. Some have shared this is a normal driving characteristic of the 09G trans (what you have in that car). The car has a learned driving behavior, so if you are in a situation different than how you normally drive, the transmission feels notchy. You can do a reset of the learn function. Goes back to shifting smooth, but then adapts and gets notchy in stop and go traffic again.

Here for other explanations, but that is what I've been told.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ah, well the fact that you had it with your car brand new makes me feel a bit better about it. Thank you for the response. It's unfortunate that it's like that, but it beats having a bad tranny (crosses fingers).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts