VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
my car has been burning oil. I removed the air hoses and there was some oil inside. When at idle I watched the air part of the turbocharger and it was not turning. Stopped the car and tried to rotate the turbine by hand. It was not turning easily. Tried to move it to the left and right - there's some play, and when I start the enging again and at idle I see it is rotating. I went to a service and they told me the oil leak is most probably from the turbocharger. Went to another service dealing especially with turbochargers and they told me I should remove the turbo and bring it to them.
Now, my question is whether I can remove it alone. Are there any instructions for doing it? My expirience is not so big with the engine but I successfully replaced the brake master cylinder and also dealth with the repair kit for the shift mecanism. Do you think I can remove the turbo by myself and later install it again or is it really a job for a service?
10x

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, although no one replied, I decided to start unmounting the turbo. Succeeded. Also I disassembled it almost entirely which cost me a couple of broken chinese wrenches (from chinese steel of course:)) but does not matter. Still have to remove the bearings in the center housing though.
The turbo turned out to be a Garrett TA0304 turbo. Now I'm about to clean it as a handfull of charcoal went out after removing the turbo housing

Do you think I can bypass the turbo so that I can use the car? I don't really need it as I do not need extra power and the repair will cost me too much. I'm thinking of isolating the bearing housing in some way so that it don't spill oil any more, but do not know if it is possible. What do you think? It will probably mean that the shaft with the turbo and the compressor wheel will be removed... Has anyone done that?
What is the pressure that the oil produces in the center housing? I'm thinkgin of testing it with a compressor to see after assembling and before mounting if it will throw oil again. If some are interested I'll post photos of all the internals.
Hope it is an interesting topic (or it will become one), although no one is posting

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: 16TD Turbo Removal (darkyp)

i dont' know that much 'bout turbos, just basics, but go here --> http://www.turboforum.net and sign up, ask there. there are a lot of guys on there that mostly have like srt-4's, 240sx's, and the like, there are a few dubbers, but not too many. nonetheless, they know their stuff. it's kind of a smaller local forum, but they're usually good with response time. good luck man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.