VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

16v 2.0 on webers dcoe 45s

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Rustyhare79 
#1 ·
hi does any body has info on what size jets and tubes and other that I'm missing needed for the webers to run better on my 16v?
any info, point on that direction would be appreciated.

#2 ·
If you do not have a wide band O2 sensor for the exhaust, I would plan on that first. Before swapping. Make certain you have carburetor drill bits, pin vice, and know how to solder.

I had Weber DCOE's on my 8V years ago and although it sounded cool, it was very temperamental. I learned to drill larger holes in the fuel jets and would solder the holes shut and redrill if needed. Never had a wide band sensor in the early 80's but that would have been very helpful.

#4 ·
It's been way too long ago. I started with a factory carbureted 8V so anything was better than the German carburetor. I do not recall any size, I just know what techniques I used to get the job done. One thing for certain, if I had fuel injection, I would have never ever installed DCOE's or any other carburetor. It's going backwards with driveability. The only benefit to swap is the noise you get at full throttle. That and bragging rights.

The trick with soldering the hole, is you can change the size up or down. Once you get it dialed in, then you can order the right size. I suspect the soft solder would wear away at some point [thousands and thousands of miles] that is why I would want to replace them with the correct brass size. Do not get solder on the valve seat. Just enough to plug the hole.

The solder is much easier to drill thru. You must use a pin vise since the drill bit is too small and would not work with a power tool. You could get a large fuel jet and plug that with solder. Then work from there. Better than drilling the brass.

I would bolt up the carburetors and see where you stand using the wideband. Once you get the base line, you can go up/down from there. There are air emulsion tubes too. There is nothing you cannot tune for but you need to know what's going on and that is where the wideband sensor shines. There is no guessing what so ever.

#6 ·
you can run 40s or 45s with a 34 or 36mm choke
36mm can get you to 200hp
the jets will depend on your build
it will run on most any jets, you hafta get the idle side tweeked out, then the main jet
The emulsion tubes are a bit more forgiving (standardized). Use what you got. for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.