VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

heres my solution to the fact that the 16v booster arm wont reach to the brake pedal.. .. just make it longer.. nothing special just thought id share. Its a little too long cause I didnt measure the first very well because I couldnt... (long story) but should work just fine..Ill install it tomorrow hopefully.

[Modified by GTI Lowen, 5:01 AM 12-4-2002]

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Re: 16v Brake Booster Mod to fit without the pedal swap (vdubjim)

Odd...you know, at least on my Rabbit, and the GTI's that I have seen there are NO brake switches on the master cylinder, rather there is a brake switch just above the brake pedal that kinda 'screws" into its place and is activated by moving the pedal.
Joe
[email protected]
81 Rabbit GTD

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 16v Brake Booster Mod to fit without the pedal swap (RabbitGTDguy)

I believe from what I have read that the earlier cars had the pressure switch on the booster/mc... the later cars.. .like mine have the aforementioned screw in type of brake pedal switch. The reason for swapping the booster and MC is to increase the amount of pressure to compensate for the larger brakes increased surface area. More clamping power.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 16v Brake Booster Mod to fit without the pedal swap (vdubjim)

yeah i meant later Rabbits, I guess the other cars are different...which would necessitate the pedal swap.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Re: 16v Brake Booster Mod to fit without the pedal swap (GTI Lowen)

Well, that's one way about it.
What I did to fit my Passat booster was this:
- measure the length of your stock booster arm
- I cut off the fork at the end of the arm
- removed the adjustable fork from my stock booster
- threaded the end of the Passat booster arm to match the thread of the adjustable fork
- got a section of solid round bar
- drilled hole through the centre (about 1.25" deep or so) so that you can tap it later
- cut bar to ~1" length and tap hole
- get long bolt that matches the thread of the fork/rod
- thread bolt through the rod and the fork
- weld the rod to the fork
- remove the bolt (needed some "convincing" to get it out)
- put the nut from the original booster and the extended fork onto the Passat booster arm
- adjust to the length that your original setup was at
There, now you have an adjustable brake pedal!
As for the brake light switches, I used 2 T-fittings out of the back of VW's Type-2 vans (1 per van), and made some short lines. Works perfectly!!
This didn't take too long to do, and it's completely safe!
Message me if you have any questions/comments about what I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.