VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 92 16v burns oil. not too much, but enough to make a little cloud of blue smoke while its idling, and enough to make me smell it. what could be wrong? and are there any easy ways to fix it? the car has 96,000 miles on it. not a noob to the vw scene, but am a noob to the whole engine rebuilding thing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Re: 16v burns oil!! (MK2Whip)

I'm not sure but I don't think that it's burning oil just expelling it, so probably leaking oil in your valve seals

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Re: 16v burns oil!! (WHOBGHILEE!)

What? A 16V that burns oil?
That impossible.

Do a compression and leakdown test. Also check the valve cover gasket, cam seal, crank seal and back of the block for a leaky headgasket.
16V's eat oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If the consumption is not excessive, it's fine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: 16v burns oil!! (Big Fundamental)

Quote, originally posted by Big Fundamental »
What? A 16V that burns oil?
That impossible.

Do a compression and leakdown test. Also check the valve cover gasket, cam seal, crank seal and back of the block for a leaky headgasket.
16V's eat oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If the consumption is not excessive, it's fine.

ah ya the good ol 16... a quart every 3 weeks or so and it'll stay happy

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Re: 16v burns oil!! (Amenoveedubus)

yep, my motor was rebuilt recently. has about 18k on it now total rebuild. i do a lot of highway driving and i put about a quart and a half in 2700k miles this time around. mobil1 15w50 full synthetic. no blue clouds of exhaust, it just disappears. like said above, it eats it at meals.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: 16v burns oil!! (gottalovetherabbit)

first thing, put thicker oil into ur engine, i put 20w50 in and no oil leaks, compred to when i was using synthetic. The problem may be that ur piston rings are shot, ur valves arent sealing properly, valve guides are out of manufacturers specs, or u have a crack in the head.
hope this helps

·
Registered
264 Posts
170k on my 16v and it runs great but it does like its oil though. I use about 1 quart a month between leaks and burning it. I kindas wish this car would disappear as a 5.0l mustang convertuble. That wold be extra sweet. But what ever, i love my dub, but she hates me. Hehee. man dos xx beers are tasty goodness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts