VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1,101 - 1,110 of 1,110 Posts
I've been reading through the thread. There is some awesome info here. However, my scenario hasn't quite come up fully here.
Did a 16v digi2 swap in my 92 jetta carat. Having a major cold start issue. Won't idle and stay running. Like a lot of people here I am not running an ISV. Still running a copot. Once its warmed up it seems to run quite a bit better. Still very hesitant though with the throttle response. Can tell im not getting the power I should be getting. ECU is chipped (cant remember the brand) took it apart once and don't remember. I bought the ECU that way. It does back fire occasionally. Really spits and sputters on initial start up and driving until it clears itself out so to speak. Replaced fuel filter recently. Set the copot with multimeter. I am running the blue cts. Not sure if that's my problem or not. maybe its bad idk. Ive read a lot on here about the ISV and issues everyone has had with it. so that could be the culprit too. running scirocco intake and TB. Also not getting a temp reading on the dash. Hopefully ive given enough info to get some advice back. Thanks in advance.
Sounds to me like a bad coolant temp sensor. Also I highly recommend the tectonics tuning chip for 16v digi swaps

So with the car running I unplugged the blue cts and the motor sputtered and died. Plugged it back in and it runs again. So am I correct in assuming the cts is working? Also I should be able to scrounge the parts this weekend to reinstall the ISV. I guess I'll wait and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like a bad coolant temp sensor. Also I highly recommend the tectonics tuning chip for 16v digi swaps
It turned out to be the ISV. Still have some tweaking and tuning to do though. When we swapped the motor the copot was set up to run without the ISV. So now that it's there need to readjust the copot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also not getting a temp reading on the dash.
there should be a single pin temp sensor in the side of the head which would be the same one for the temp gauge on the motronic cluster. you run the hot wire(I think its black and yellow but I could be wrong, I no longer have the wiring) that went to the black temp sensor to the one on the side of the head. ground the brown where ever you'd like!

I have issue develope over the last few months of daily driving my digi2 16v car. i have noticed a surge under heavy acceleration it feels like it momentarily looses power then comes right back (not a miss) keeps pulling then does it again.

motor specs
1.8 16v rebuilt 3500 miles ago
tt down pipe
tt cat back (gutted cat for now)

only does this above 4000 rpms at wot. no other time

any thoughts?

my first one is a knock sensor is taking a dive.
maybe my VAM causing my issue. I might pick up a bmw one this week also
injectors to small? stock digi2 injectors

wot/idle switches test out (might try another tb from the wrecking yard next week)
cts tests out
o2 is newer and tests fine

next swap for me will be CE2 in this car. so i can use this digi2 engine harness in my mk1 coupe;)

Edit

Fixed my issue it was timing
Praise baby Jesus for this thread AND this post. This might've just solved my issue.

running without the ISV.
it can start with low idle, and runs perfectly when warmed up.
when cold during warm up, car dies when i coast in neutral.
with the ISV plugged in, it idles fine for a few seconds, then starts surging.

I have redone my grounds, replaced my vacuum lines from the TB, checked my intake route, my ISV hums when ignition is at accessory, and replaced the blue CTS.
If you're in Ontario, Canada running this setup--I'll pay you to get this car running right lol.

engine is 9A running Digifant II.
I chipped a spare ECM with CSW/Digifast and installed it--car idles perfectly when warmed up, no more lag. smooth off the line, and pulls better to the high RPMs.

Anyone still running this setup?

Hello all, I'm looking for some help on a very old thread.

There's lots of good information here, but I can't seem to find someone in the same situation as me. I have a GLI built in 1/90, so it's a 16v with CIS-E and it's CE2 (as far as I can figure). I have a 1990 Jetta 8v with Digi 2 as a donor car, which is also CE2. I pulled the ECU and harness from the Digi car and everything there makes sense... except for the coil wiring.

CIS-E uses a single plug for the coil, which is tied into the ECU harness. On Digi 2, the ECU harness has a black wire and a red wire coming from the ECU harness, as well as a black wire and a red wire coming from the harness that goes to the fusebox (referred to as the "Engine Compartment/Management, Right Side" harness on A2resource).

I also noticed that the CIS-E harness has two 6-pin connectors by the ECU. Digi has two 6-pin connectors as well, but one of them connects to the "knock box," which leaves a gray female 6-pin connector from the CIS-E empty.

After a bit of reading through the Bentley and what I could find on Vortex, I figured the simplest way to solve both of those problems is to take the engine compartment/management harness from the Digi car and put it into my GLI. I pulled the harnesses from both cars, and laid them out side by side.

Using the Digi harness solves the problems I had but made some new problems :laugh: I'm not quite sure how to go about wiring in the Digi harness to the fuse box. It looks as though its relatively plug and play as they're both CE2, but the relays are a bit different. According to the Bentley, relay #3 is "Digifant Control Unit." Sounds important, but why is relay #3 empty on the GLI fusebox? I assume because it's not Digi :confused: The wiring into the back of relay #3 appears to be the same on the Digi car and the CIS car... is that relay necessary? I also notice that there is a very similar red/black wire heading to the back of the fuel pump relay on both harnesses, but the wiring on the fuel pump connectors is a bit different between the Digi and CIS fuseboxes.

If someone could point me in the right direction with potentially helpful schematics or pinouts, or if anyone else has come across this and has some pics of their fusebox setup, it would be super helpful. Thanks in advance :)

1,101 - 1,110 of 1,110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.