VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a car and came across an ad for a 97 "Golf GTI 16v edition 20 years 2/3doors" (exact way it was printed) now its an italian site translated to english so maybe the words got jumbled but my VW knowledge is well non-exsistant... when i tried to type it (and variations of it) in google it just laughed at me and gave me sites in other languages... so now im asking ya'll
any info would be helpful before i drive two and half hours to check it out

· Banned
3,051 Posts
Re: (SnubbedMK3)

Quote, originally posted by SnubbedMK3 »
Rarely came in 16v.

I like how people call it rare cause it didn't come to the US...
Did you know that the piece of sh t crossflow 2L only came to the United States - does the mean it's more rare than a 16V

· Banned
6,701 Posts
Re: (...countblah...)

Quote, originally posted by ...countblah... »

Did you know that the piece of sh t crossflow 2L only came to the United States - does the mean it's more rare than a 16V

derek, i think he's saying that even in europe, the abf 16v was sort of a rariety.

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: (St. Anky)

Parts aren't rare for the US 16v's... but for the ABF you'll have to get your parts from europe..
The other thing with 16v's is that parts are a lot more expensive, even if they are readily available. (More expensive as compared to cross and counterflow 8v)

· Registered
5,122 Posts
Re: (...countblah...)

Quote, originally posted by ...countblah... »

Thanks for the info

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: (The Brodie)

Oh that's nice... The ABF has 150hp right? Apparently it's very refined. Nice smooth idle and the power delivery is linear.
A lot of dudes say the 16v is gutless, i beg to differ.

· Banned
6,701 Posts
Re: (The Brodie)

150 hp, but i'm pretty sure if you get a chip and possibly a cam, you can get up into the 170hp range, but you'll only have like 140ft/lb of torque.
basically getting into the 170hp-range in one of the ABF's is pretty easy, and i think that;s one of the reasons it wasn;t brought to the US, because it'd be too close of a contender with the vr.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.