VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
261 - 280 of 308 Posts
Confused about 16v engine

This is my first post on here, but I have been reading these threads for a while. I can't seem to find the rigt one to read. I THINK I have a 1.8l sitting in my mk1 golf, but it is set up mostly k-jetronic with the ECU of a mono jetronic system. The only sensors that are hooked up ar the high oil pressure and coolant temp for the in dash meter.
My main question is can anyone walk me through the wiring up of the rest of the sensors? The car runs great in my opinion for a mk1 but does idle roughly and smells incredibly rich. I have pics of the setup if you guys need to see. Any help is much appreciated.

bogging problems

hey guys need some help well i got myself my first 91 gli jetta 16v 2.0 well when i got it the guy said it had some timing issue so he put a junk yard distributor and got it running so when you start the car it iddles rough and seem it wants to die if you dont pump gas second when you take off it runs smooth once you get too 4,000 rpm it cuts off and wants to die shift gear and normal hit 4,000rpm again it stalls wants to turn off then wait a couple seconds turn the car back on and revs it self t0 4,000rpm any help please i just want to drive my gli also i switched computer from anothr 16v 2.0 and still does the same i was told it could be knock sensor distributor or computer or tiiming help thaanks :)

Question

My 16v has low power until about 3k rpm. Any thoughts? I was thinking to adjust the cams a little. the distributor line was not perfectly(darn close) straight but the cam dimples were lined up and cut by the plain of the head. Thanks in advance
:banghead:

k guys my brain is mush!....any who...heres my deal i picked up a 95 aba 2.0.short block complete with 130,000 miles on. i own a 89 gti 1.8.16v. i'm planing on puttin on my 1.8. 16v head on the 2.0.people told "i can use ALL of my 1.8 v stuff off my block and trnsfer it to the 2.0. everything "suppose" to bolt rite up no worries. if thats the case awsome BUT i started read forums on here and forget it 2.0.this 2.0.that....thats why im so confused. so please guys simplfiy this as much as possible. im not a motor guy a body guy yes. im lookin for 200+hp just want some dependable. thank for your time and help.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

k guys my brain is mush!....any who...heres my deal i picked up a 95 aba 2.0.short block complete with 130,000 miles on. i own a 89 gti 1.8.16v. i'm planing on puttin on my 1.8. 16v head on the 2.0.people told "i can use ALL of my 1.8 v stuff off my block and trnsfer it to the 2.0. everything "suppose" to bolt rite up no worries. if thats the case awsome BUT i started read forums on here and forget it 2.0.this 2.0.that....thats why im so confused. so please guys simplfiy this as much as possible. im not a motor guy a body guy yes. im lookin for 200+hp just want some dependable. thank for your time and help.

k guys my brain is mush!....any who...heres my deal i picked up a 95 aba 2.0.short block complete with 130,000 miles on. i own a 89 gti 1.8.16v. i'm planing on puttin on my 1.8. 16v head on the 2.0.people told "i can use ALL of my 1.8 v stuff off my block and trnsfer it to the 2.0. everything "suppose" to bolt rite up no worries. if thats the case awsome BUT i started read forums on here and forget it 2.0.this 2.0.that....thats why im so confused. so please guys simplfiy this as much as possible. im not a motor guy a body guy yes. im lookin for 200+hp just want some dependable. thank for your time and help.
Your not gonna get 200+hp from just putting the head on. That combo will give you low compression for boost. Search and you'll find all the info you need on that combo.

FIRING ORDER ON 16V: 1 - 3 - 4 - 2 COUNTERCLOCKWISE rotation

Unlike all the 8v motors, where the distributor turns clockwise, the 16v is opposite, counterclockwise.
D'oh. Hate it when that happens. :banghead:

will the 2.0 16v with a tdi headgasket raise the compression to 11:1 on an aba 2.0 block? and from what ive seen 2.0 16v should bolt directly up to the aba block with the exception of the intake mani and the oil cooler lines.

please verify if this info is correct, id really appreciate it! :thumbup::beer:

16v Rabbit intermittent fuel pump issue

Has anyone else had any issue with fuel pumps not wanting to act right? I've checked the grounds to the pump and throughout the car, checked the relay, and checked the coil. I'm getting constant 12v to the relay and proper power to the pump. I am NOT getting spark, and the pressure from the pump is seemingly weak according to my mechanic which is leading me to beleive its in the relay panel or wiring somehwere. Any ideas?

Has anyone else had any issue with fuel pumps not wanting to act right? I've checked the grounds to the pump and throughout the car, checked the relay, and checked the coil. I'm getting constant 12v to the relay and proper power to the pump. I am NOT getting spark, and the pressure from the pump is seemingly weak according to my mechanic which is leading me to beleive its in the relay panel or wiring somehwere. Any ideas?
You know, this MAY or may not fix your problem, but... I recently had an issue where when I turned the key to on position I'd get no FP prime and despite having power to the coil, I was getting no spark. After replacing the Coil (now running Nology's coil and wires, absolute best coil and wires I've ever used) and the FP relay, I started digging.

Low and behold, it was in the LAST place I looked. Underneath the Raintray there's a control box next to the cabin filter. I took the connection to that off and found that two of the wires near the back were corroded (from moisture, normal wear and tear(?), and heavy vibration from stereo) and had finally lost connection. I clean them up, re-terminated them and plugged it back in and VOILA... she fired right up.

Strangest damn thing I've ever experienced and I've been driving 16v's since I was 15 (23 years now). Hope this helps, if not, PM me with more details and I'll help much as I can.:beer:

aba 16v timing/need help as to how to degree the block

I have a full rebuild with after market flywheel.The problem is i do not have a tdc mark on the flywheel.I need to degree the block to be able to make a tdc mark on the flywheel and i don't trust the mark on the crank pulley because of the amount of play left and right in the pulley before the bolts are tight.Has anyone done this before?

headlight wiring

might be the wrong place to ask this but i have a 82 rabbit convertible that i swapped a 16 valve into out of a 87 rocco. im using the entire fuse box and wiring and i cant figure out how to wire my single round lights to work with the the quad headlight setup that the rocco harness has. if i run the headlights they will shut off and turn on every couple minutes and eventually drain my battery and the car will lose power. any thoughts?

16v headlight wiring

might be the wrong place to ask this but i have a 82 rabbit convertible that i swapped a 16 valve into out of a 87 rocco. im using the entire fuse box and wiring and i cant figure out how to wire my single round lights to work with the the quad headlight setup that the rocco harness has. if i run the headlights they will shut off and turn on every couple minutes and eventually drain my battery and the car will lose power. any thoughts?

You are right, wrong place to ask.

Please start a new thread there ==> http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?152-Cabriolet

Good luck.

261 - 280 of 308 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.