VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 308 of 308 Posts
My ecu is tucked up under the dash on the passenger side. This past summer I took my ms harness and merged it with the original 16v harness so that the connections ran through the stock rubber grommet to the fuse box. I still need to do a bit more tidying up of the wiring (coil on block vs firewall).

No problem, wiring was the most time consuming part, about a weekend's worth. It runs pretty good, I have a little cold weather start up issue, but that's more from not running a idle valve. Programming was easy, I found some fuel and ignition maps online from a similar build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ah yes, timing the 16v.
timing belt and tensioner should be replaced every 60,000kms (as per VW), but it's your choice when / if you replace it. Why roll the dice?
anyway, here are some picture of the timing marks on a 16v. the transaxle / Flywheel mark is accesable under a plastic green screw on cap (no pictures of it - sorry), but it is on the driver side - where the transaxle mates to the engine. It's on top. you can't miss it.
The cam marks are on the inside (drivers side) of the pulley.
The crank pulley marks are on the crank (obviously) - but these line up to the plastic lower timing belt cover - and is not that accurate. the crank pulley and flywheel sping at the same rate, so use the flywheel mark.
The dot on the flywheel is 0° and the notch is factory timing.
ok, now for the pictures....
crank marks (line up with "V" notch on transaxle housing)

Another shot of the whole flywheel

Cam timing mark

Another cam mark

And the distributor (plug wires info and rotation)

that's it for now...

Modified by rockin16v at 8:55 AM 12-2-2003
Any chance someone can update with new pics, Rockin16v hasn't been active since 2013

-Stephen

301 - 308 of 308 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.