VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i may be getting a rabbit gti along with a 1.8 16v motor, that supposedly includes everything needed to install it in the rabbit. first question, exactly what all will i need to do this swap?
next, i will be using the stock 8v tranny, is this a good combination? i don't have a 16v tranny and can't afford one anytime soon. is it a direct bolt up? will i need to change flywheel/starter/clutch?
is this a very involved swap? or is it plug & play for the most part. i can handle switching out a wiring harness if need be. would i need an entire 16v harness from headlight to taillight, or just part of it?
i don't know yet if the engine is out of a rocco of an A2, will an A2 16v fit? i know the intake is on the opposite side.
if it turns out to be more than i can handle at the moment (stupid time-limiting school!) and i can get the 8v in it to run well i may just sell the 16v motor, how much can i expect to get for it?
thanks for your input and advice
_______

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: 16v in an 84 gti questions... (VWUberAlles)

If you've never done such a thing and need the car to be 100% reliable right after the swap to get you back and forth to school, you may want to consider selling the 16v, get the 8v and the rest of the car 110%.
off the top of my head:
You'll need the Scirocco 16v exhaust manifold and downpipe, then an exhaust system setup to the new downpipe/cat. You can use a 16v pressure plate and an 8v clutch disc to use your stock trans and driveshafts
16v coil, some hoses to connect to the raditator, if you are using the stock rad. It sounds like you have a golf/jetta 16v if the intake goes to the pass. side. More time and prob. some more $$ out of your pocket to get it going. Do you know if the motor is ok?
You can integrate the ecu & knock box from the 16v into the exisiting harness, so all of the splices should be infront of the firewall.
I think the project may turn into more than you want to deal with if this is your only means of transportation...it will consume and frustrate you if you have nothing but problems. but once done and done right it will be a blast to drive.
let us know how you make out.

[Modified by 83caddy16v, 10:26 AM 10-10-2002]

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 16v in an 84 gti questions... (83caddy16v)

it won't be my sole means of transportation, i have an 88 golf daily driver. eventually i want to drive the rabbit daily and take my golf off the road for awhile to do some serious body work on it. does anyone know of a site that gives a step by step guide for the 16v swap? how much can i expect to get for the 16v motor if i sell it?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: 16v in an 84 gti questions... (VWUberAlles)

Here's the basic idea on the wiring using an 84 GTI & 87 16v Scirocco, you would use your Bently manuals to wire similarly for the harness you have:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.