VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what i need to know is about wiring. i am putting in a 16v from an A2 rocco and i dont know if it would be easier to just swap the whole entire harness from taillights to head lights or just the engine harness....or is there some other option i am not taking into consideration. if you could hit me up with a site on this stuff or just break it all down down for me i would be eternally greatfull.
scottie

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (iwanna16v)

I guess the wiring question is sortof like, how do you like your steak cooked. You'll get a few different answers from us.
Depending on what complexity you want to get it to and what options you want/need. I did the full harness and fuse block. For the rear I just used the wiring that went back to the fuel pump (my pickup was a diesel and didnt' have a fuel pump back there) and stuck with the stock pickup wiring for lighting. Which made using the Scirocco cluster and Cabriolet dash a snap. Doesn't mean you can't get the same results another way, just how I did it.
You can simply splice in the ecu and knock sensor to an existing Rabbit GTI harness and be on your way.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (brilliantyellowg60)

If you swap just the engine harness, there is a really easy way to wire it into the existing wiring. But I dont know how to do it. I used all the Scirocco wiring in my car, except for the taillight harness.. Using the whole harness is useful because then you can easily use the Scirocco cluster, and if you're planning on swapping to a Cabby dash or something all the switches plug in. To me this is the "corrtect" way to do it, but that is just my opinion.
There is another way to do it if you dont mind keeping all of your Rabbit wiring.
You can put the 16v in and use the CIS-Lamda that your Rabbit came with. All you have to do is use the Scirocco fuel lines, mount the CPR on the side of the head in its proper place, and wire in the knock box.
This is a pretty easy way to do it, and works well in most cases.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (83caddy16v)

On a 79 you may want to use the complete harness to get the better fuse box and wiring. BTW all roccos(MkI and MkII) are A1 chassis.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (bluerrrabbit)

I've done a couple swaps using the splice and dice method, if the harness in the base car is still okay(no electrical problems)I'd say splice in the engine harness and let it rock.If,on the other hand,your car has electrical gremlins,or is a diesel,you could/should put in the 'rocco harness.
I have a list of what wires need to be spliced,IM me for details,as that would be enough stuff for another thread.
Blue- I worked on a rabbit that had a 16v running on 8v engine managment,I don't really recommend that setup,it just doesn't seem to get enough fuel,and running 10.5 compression on pump gas w/o a knock box is kinda risky.(That car wasn't really done right anyway,and incredibly,was built by EIP. The guy had receipts to prove it.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (vwpat)

quote:[HR][/HR]On a 79 you may want to use the complete harness to get the better fuse box and wiring. BTW all roccos(MkI and MkII) are A1 chassis.[HR][/HR]​
True that! Also if were talking Fuel injected, I would hunt the 1.8 Harness/brain, not the complexer (is that a word) 2.0 with the brain. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (vr6swap)

quote:[HR][/HR]Blue- I worked on a rabbit that had a 16v running on 8v engine managment,I don't really recommend that setup,it just doesn't seem to get enough fuel,and running 10.5 compression on pump gas w/o a knock box is kinda risky.(That car wasn't really done right anyway,and incredibly,was built by EIP. The guy had receipts to prove it.)[HR][/HR]​
We have one here that is a 2.0 16v with european CIS and on the dyno with the wideband O2 sensor it was getting fatter up in the rpm's. I dont' really understnand why, as it seems contrary to what should be happening, but that's what happened. Otherwise the car runs quite well.
We have the knock sensor wired in, BTW.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

Blue-from what I've read,the euro cis runs w/different fuel curves than the U.S. setup.It seems to be tailored to high rpm/heavy throttle use
It works well(the simpler something is,the better it works) but I hear that it won't pass smog checks 'cause it runs too rich.The knockbox is a must w/ any cis w/ compression higher than about 9.5 to one.( I know somebody will jump in and say they're runnin' 14:1 compression on pump gas,sure you are.)

·
Registered
15,158 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]We have one here that is a 2.0 16v with european CIS and on the dyno with the wideband O2 sensor it was getting fatter up in the rpm's. I dont' really understnand why, as it seems contrary to what should be happening, but that's what happened. Otherwise the car runs quite well.
We have the knock sensor wired in, BTW. [HR][/HR]​
That's most likely what I'll be doing, something like that anyhow. Wish me luck, lol....

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

Vr6-yeah the euro CIS does seem to work very well in this application other than running rich. We don't have smog checks here yet, so for now its ok.
Interesting note, though:
the same day on the dyno my friend Dave had his 3A 8v Rabibt there with the same injection, and his wanted to get lean at high rpms. Any idea why the differences???

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

Dunno if I can diagnose something over the net,check the following-
1.vacuum leaks
2.02 sensor(?)
3.low fuel pressure (pump,pinched lines,filter?)
4.idle mixture set correctly( are you cranking it full rich?)
5.airflow plate set correctly
That's all I can think of right now. Anybody else??

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

The 02 sensor is not an issue cause the european CIS doesn't use one.
Knowing Dave, I think most of the other stuff would likely be in check, but I can't say for sure. By the end of the dyno session, we had the 8v really fat at idle, and it ended up about right at top end.
I just find it so weird that they were direct opposites of each other.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

I wasn't sure if euro-cis used an 02 sensor or not. What signal does it use to set the fuel curve? Vacuum,astrological charts
or what??
BTW today my a2-vr6 failed all three emissions tests with flying colors..

[Modified by vr6swap, 2:56 AM 3-31-2002]

·
Registered
15,158 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I wasn't sure if euro-cis used an 02 sensor or not. What signal does it use to set the fuel curve? Vacuum,astrological charts
or what??
[HR][/HR]​
From what I understand(and I understand so very little at this point) Euro CIS doesn't use what one would call a fuel curve. IIRC, it just dumps what the throttle position tells it to...Or it's connected to the air-flow plate ...or something..
I was going to erase this whole post because it makes NO sense whatsoever, but I'll leave so the people that do know what they're talking about can correct me... It's really the only way to learn... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Re: 16v into a rabbit....anyone here done it??? (SidRocco)

I used the term "fuel curve" for lack of a better term. Maybe I shoulda said injector cycle(?) Anyway,so we have a vacuum signal that opens the airflow plate,and in turn opens the metering valve for the injectors,if I'm understanding this? Bluerabbit??
Boy,we're WAY off the topic now,or are we...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I used the term "fuel curve" for lack of a better term. Maybe I shoulda said injector cycle(?) Anyway,so we have a vacuum signal that opens the airflow plate,and in turn opens the metering valve for the injectors,if I'm understanding this? Bluerabbit??
Boy,we're WAY off the topic now,or are we...[HR][/HR]​
My limitations are beginning to show here...hopefully I dont come off sounding like a total dummy here.
I am not really sure what difference the lack of 02 sensor makes. But if I understoof what you meant about injector cycle, CIS injectors dont really have a "cycle," no? They're prettymuch open or closed. The european setup is basically mechanical fuel injection, so I think its like Sid said, throttleplate opens the needle valve in there and awyay goes the fuel. Altho I understand the euro distributor to have somewhat differnt valving. There was a terrific thread on this in the 16v forum a while back, started by our own Andrew Stauffer. Try searching for that.
Off topic? Maybe but still good info going on here.
What was the original question anyways?

[Modified by bluerrrabbit, 6:26 PM 3-31-2002]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.