VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many hour job it is to create a 16V Bunny for an experienced vw mechanic. I have an 84 GTi with a blown motor, and my friend who is experienced said he can do the swap, but I'm trying to get an hour figure. I would prefer to have a 2L 16V, but you can quote the 1.8L 16V as well. Sure appreciate any info. TIA
Pat

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (gtibunny8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]The engine swap can be done in about 3-4 hours and add another 2 hours for wiring. What fuel system will you be using? CIS or CIS-E or CIS-E motronic[HR][/HR]​
I'm not really sure, as I havn't got the parts rounded up yet...I'm toying with the idea of a 16V in this 84 GTi, since it's pretty much worthless at the moment since it's not running. I'm going to assume the motronic setup would be the best next to standalone?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (GTi16VR6Guy)

guys is this a straight bolt up conversion?
i have a 76 model.......do you know if the mounts are all da same?
and do later 16V's say for examply one out of a 1997 vehicle have the engine mounts in the same place?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (Man&Golf)

been here done that. the rabbit mounts will fit on a 16v block. if you have a scirocco motor, the mounts should be the same. it took me a weekend with friends to put it in, but i had a shady wiring harness, so it didnt get started till awhile after figuring all that out. you can use the 8v trans(i am), remember to use the 8v clutch. its very straightforward, with the right parts there need not be any cutting or fabricating.
-edit- the 2L and 1.8L would be no different as far as time to put in. however, its impossible for the 2L to have scirocco mounts, unless somebody has already been tinkering.

[Modified by A1pocketrocket, 9:00 AM 11-17-2002]

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (Man&Golf)

As far as I know, the only 4 cylinder engines that won't bolt in are the TDI and some 1.8t's, because they don't have holes in the block to mount the A1 passenger side motor mount.
The passenger side mount is the only one you need to worry about, the other three bolt to the transmission.
quote:[HR][/HR]and do later 16V's say for examply one out of a 1997 vehicle have the engine mounts in the same place?[HR][/HR]​
Did you guys get 16v's in the Mk3 cars?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (gtibunny8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]The engine swap can be done in about 3-4 hours and add another 2 hours for wiring. What fuel system will you be using? CIS or CIS-E or CIS-E motronic[HR][/HR]​
6 hours!!!!
i would love to be witness to that. i have seen and participated in 4 16V swaps...and i couldn't even imagine how you would do it that quickly!!!
unless you aren't taking into account that he will have to strip the car of everything first, and then have to go to the store 25 times to get all the parts/clips/hoses, and whatever else is broken, that he will need. don't forget you will also spend time fighting with all the rust, stripped nuts and dirt!
if you are really experienced, and have all the right tools (including air compressor), parts, hoses, clamps, engine hoists, car hoist....etc...maybe 6 hours is possible. but if you and a friend are going to undertake it in your garage at home....it's a minimum friday night, to sunday night thing. that includes the few hours when the car won't run right, and you have to fiddle with the fueling to get it running.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (mk1gti girl)

shes right ...3-4 hours is about right if you have your own shop full of VW poop ..like most tuning shops .. so if your missin or break anything you can just grab it from the pile of parts.
But if your doing it in your garage with only the parts you bought .. somthing is bound to go wrong .. Murpheys law

Preperation is the key for good results .
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck..dont rush it !

·
Registered
285 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (mk1gti girl)

I once from the time of driving into the garage to having the engine on the floor was about 45min.
For most projects take the est. time and then double it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (GTi16VR6Guy)

I just did this swap this weekend it took me friday from 6pm to 12am and Saturday from 2pm tell 1am all that is left is the wiring witch i am have some problems with. other than that it is a quick swap.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (B4S)

i am looking for info on wiring up my new 16v and came across this so i thought i would give my 2 cents. i did not look at the date.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (B4S)

Quote, originally posted by B4S »
A thread from 2002??????

obviously, it took him 6 years to do the swap.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Re: 16V MK1, how many hour swap? (Jones84)

Quote, originally posted by Jones84 »
I just did this swap this weekend it took me friday from 6pm to 12am and Saturday from 2pm tell 1am all that is left is the wiring witch i am have some problems with. other than that it is a quick swap.

you're an idiot, this thread was 6 years old

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.