VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16v mk1 Questions...

im looking to do a 16v swap in a mk1. im going to be hitting the junkyards soon for a lower milage 16v out of a passat (hopefully an auto), and was wondering what im getting myself into. i was told its not TOO hard but what wiring issues am i likely to encounter and about how long "should" the swap take.also is there anything i have to change to run an 8v tranny. i have a 4k lined up to use, if that doesnt go through then im going to use the one off my stock 1.7 with 65,000 (not sure on the tranny code) or another mk1 gti box, and what clutch would you guys suggest. keep in mind the car is going to see a good amount of driving. im kinda new to the vw scene and just dont want to screw anything up, and do it all right the first time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks,
Mike

Modified by 83 MkI at 9:09 AM 7-11-2003

· Registered
730 Posts
Re: 16v mk1 Questions... (83 MkI)

Do a search, just about everything you need to know is in the search..I searched and became more familiar with everthing, before I started my swap. The more you know the better. It's easy now looking back. Take your time. Make sure u have all the necessary parts..I made it easy on myself for the first swap. Euro injection(no electrics), wired in a Knock sensor ignition(87 GTI 16v).

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 16v mk1 Questions... (RiverBunny)

i know a guy who wanted to sell me a euro injection for around 180 or 200. is that a good deal. also what fuel management would you recommend if i was looking to go turbo a little down the road.

· Registered
730 Posts
Re: 16v mk1 Questions... (83 MkI)

You can get VWMS 16v injection (just like euro injection) for $160, from europartsinc. and that's a new setup. Euro injection for 200? Don't do it man...As for turbo.. Stay cis and go with a piggy back injector setup. That's where i will be in the near future. Or maybe the digi1..Not sure yet

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thanks for your help. im not sure if i should run the 4k with the turbo set up because of the short ratios, seems like it would cut the turbo short on building boost.... what would you do.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

damn. at one of the local shops they were building a 20v turbo rabbit and they ran a 16v tranny. he said it was because of the long ratios, but in my friends GLi there is little to no first gear and second gear is extremely short too so i dont know if thats what i would do either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.