VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im thing about the 16v conversion for my cabbie which has a 1.8 weber carb at the moment, in your opinion what would be best, put the 16v on twin carbs ?
or
Plumb in all the wireing etc and keep the fuel injection?
just thinking ahead, ive looked at the 16v thread and its very interesting and helpfull.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Re: (urogolf)

Quote, originally posted by urogolf »
itbs
itbs
itbs

I had a friend that boosted ITBS and they couldn't get the car to run right, the butterflies wouldn't work right with the boost... they took the same car, went with one huge BBK with a custom intake and butda, ran great....

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
weird
tuning maybe?
a firend of mine just swapped a nissan pulsar gti motor into his 200sx... itbs with turbo....factory
he messed around with it and now has almost 400whp
goin standalone this summer and hopes to eclipse that number sigificantly

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
funny, i was debating the same thing, i have a 16v fully rebuilt and i have to mint dellorto carbs, i think im going to go with fuel injection b/c less headaches and in my opinion easier to tune, also, with carbs you can go no where, with injection turbos are always an option, or bigger injectors, etc
Dave

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Re: (meinit)

im running webers on my 16v rabbit right now. i like them, definatly good source of extra power! needs a tad more time to warm up, but i keep up with vr6's easily. im switching back over to FI for my 16vT very soon, so i guess ill get a taste of both! try it, see if you like it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
my engine...

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I guess if you want to go turbo then you can't argue for carbs. But the majority of us won't, in which case carbs are AWESOME. haha. And Im speaking from my 1 week's experience driving a 1200cc Honda 4cyl, single carb
Easy to tune, no wires to worry about (which has always been my weak spot, I cant troubleshoot wiring for a damn), and they sound great. Not to mention THROTTLE RESPONSE. Geez I get a ****-eating grin out of a 1.2L so think about that.
Quote »
think im going to go with fuel injection b/c less headaches and in my opinion easier to tune, also, with carbs you can go no where, with injection turbos are always an option, or bigger injectors, etc
Dave

Mmm, sorta... sure you can upgrade yuor injectors, but why not just get a larger carb to start then? Carbs are going to be better for high RPM big cam applications too

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Re: (Dirt road)

Quote, originally posted by Dirt road »
funny, i was debating the same thing, i have a 16v fully rebuilt and i have to mint dellorto carbs, i think im going to go with fuel injection b/c less headaches and in my opinion easier to tune, also, with carbs you can go no where, with injection turbos are always an option, or bigger injectors, etc
Dave

You will not regret your decision!
carbs + turbo = hugest pain in the a$$ ever
EFI + turbo = huge power, drivability, and tune it once and leave it.
Trust me man, stop even thinkin about carbs because unless u are racing they shouldnt be used on street cars (IMHO). Go FI, make more power, retain gas mileage an drivability. carbs are easy to install and look clean, but anybody can spend a little extra time an make a FI car look just as nice, and then u dont have to mess with it every time the weather changes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (IanGTI)

Quote, originally posted by IanGTI »
im running webers on my 16v rabbit right now. i like them, definatly good source of extra power! needs a tad more time to warm up, but i keep up with vr6's easily. im switching back over to FI for my 16vT very soon, so i guess ill get a taste of both! try it, see if you like it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
my engine...

What sort of mpg are you getting with the carbs?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Re: (meinit)

i owned that car and was the one to rebuild the whole engine to just how i wanted it... it does take a little while to warm up and not blowby because it has forged pistons
... i was managing around 25 on the highway

·
Registered
993 Posts
Re: (IanGTI)

Quote, originally posted by IanGTI »
my engine...

what have you dont to it.. because i got walked on by my friends vr6 jetta that was almost stock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.