VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: 16v on my ABA? (hybrid gti 2)

16v head on aba block? compression drops to 8:1 or something, can't remmeber exactly, however i think techtonics sells pistons to compensate for that.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Re: 16v on my ABA? (hybrid gti 2)

well not impossible but not too easy. the ABA pistons will only give you 8.0:1 compression or so and that will make the car a real dog to attempt to drive. to fix that you need either a custom piston made or find somewhere that stocks an off the shelf piston that will work (eurospecspot.com has them) you need an adapter for the distributor, the 9A oil pump and intermediate shaft with gear, as well as a few other little things like the 16v ecm and theres issues with the breather on the ABA block too depending on what injection you use. there are several good write ups you can find them with the search link on the tex here. I'm doing the same thing myself now. by the way by building a 16v ABA tyour basically building a knock off of the ABF motor which was sold in europe(150hp). them main difference is the us and euro heads are different (combustion chanber shape) you'll probably end up closer to 140 hp or you can look on eurospecsport's site and they have short and long blocks you can buy with everything your looking to do just depends on $$$$. good luck here are the part #'s for pistons that will work ( thanks again Garth) Here you go-
CAST PISTON SET - 4 VALVE $ 289.00
ECP 107 1984A4V
CAST 16V PISTON WITH PINS AND CLIPS. 82.5MM BORE,92.8MM STR.,R/L 159MM, B/HGT 236MM,10.0:1 COMP.

CAST PISTON SET - 4 VALVE $ 319.00
ECP 107 2008A4V
CAST 16V PISTONS WITH PINS AND CLIPS. 83.00MM BORE,92.8MM STR.,R/L 159MM, B/HGT 236MM,10.0:1

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: 16v on my ABA? (Clav)

Damn, Clav's been doing his homework

The combo will give you exactly 7.8 to 1 comp ratio which isnt good for NA application You could shave the head but not much (valve will hit the dish) This combo is only good for boost UNLESS you source some Euro ABF 16v pistons as the ABF is just a ABA block with a euro 16v head. You find more and more people doing this swap just for forced induction. I would get some custom Wiseco pistons (which are $665.99 for 82.5 9.1cr)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts