VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the midst of transplanting a 1.8 16v motor into a gutted rabbit GTi. Have a cage and racing seats..and all of the Scirocco drivetrain parts and rear discs. I am using the full wiring harness from the donor Scirocco. Everything works..Lights..horn..wipers..etc. The only problem is that there is no spark. I can touch the main coil wire and there is some current going through it, but not enough to spark.I have another coil, but it is the same story.

This is holding the project up. I may have to road race my drag Camaro instead this year. (Ha) Any help would be appreciated. (Maybe a description of the wires going into the coil, or a pic)
I am also looking for a black rabbit dash with all the switches...minus the gauges, and some euro spec bumpers, near Philadelphia.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Re: 16v Rabbit GTi swap *no spark* any Ideas? (Simpson, Homer)

So you grabbed the center pole of the coil, cranked the car, and your still alive? Sounds like you need to trace the power side of the coil. check your voltages. Check your Hall sender. It's also possible that your ign. control module is bad. If you need one, I've got a bosch unit that's almost new(500mi) for $90 Test your hall sender first though. The Bentley will provide you with all of the electrical tests needed to find the culprit.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

So you grabbed the center pole of the coil, cranked the car, and your still alive? Sounds like you need to trace the power side of the coil and verify all of your grounds. Perhaps lay ina few extra ground wires. check your voltages. Check your Hall sender. It's also possible that your ign. control module is bad. If you need one, I've got a bosch unit that's almost new(500mi) for $90 Test your hall sender first though. The Bentley will provide you with all of the electrical tests needed to find the culprit.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ya, im alive unfortunatley.
I traced it back and found a faulty ground. The car now runs, but like crap. I am going to replace the cap and rotor and see how she runs. It only hits on one down low. When you rev it up, it runs better, but not an all 4 all the time. I am also going to time it. I actually think that two cylinders are washed. Is it going to hurt it to run it with washed cylinders? If so, how would you cure this. I know the ATF down the intake trick, but i imagine running it for awhile would cure it too. The guy who sold it to me did a compression check and it was fine. Can anyone tell me a firing order? I think it is 1 3 4 2. time to start the tuning

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 16v Rabbit GTi swap *no spark* any Ideas? (89GLI16V)

ok, firing order is good to go. Now it fires on all cylinders, but starts very hard and only fires on all above 2500 rpm. Timing changes don't help. How do I richen it on idle? And for that matter, all rpm ranges? I think that is the culprit. Or I am low on compression from letting the motor sit for a year.

Anybody got an extra rotor and cap laying around?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

Check your spray pattern on your injectors. If they're pissin' more than they're misting. That could be your problem. Otherwise, I'd verify that you've got a nice bright blue spark. If the spark is yellowish, it's an ign. problem.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a nice spark, and they mist. However, it starts better if i hold the metering plenim open a little. How do i richen idle and the rest of the rpm range?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

THe eng. needs to be at operating temp. Pull the small aluminum plug from the top of the airbox (between the fuel dist. and the air plate) connect an ammeter inline with the DPR on the hot side (I think it's the red/white wire). Using a 3mm allen key adjust the fuel mixture via that hole the plug opened up. It should fluctuate between 4 and 6ma. That's a good starting point. Also, you say if you hold the "metering plenuem" open it starts better. Are you talking about the throttle butterfly? If that's what you mean perhaps you should look at your cold start system. Perhaps a check on your coolant temp. sensor is in order too. Hope this ish is of some help. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

yes, the thing in the airbox that controls how much gas the thing gets. (metering plenim) If I pull the cold start solenoid (on the motor with blue wire connectors) and crank the motor cold, should it be spraying gas? It seems to be starting better, but it isn't good. It runs like crap down low still, and often relies on the #1 cylinder to keep it going with the other cylinders kicking in spuradically.
Yes, you are being very helpful to a guy who has spent his whole life tuning chevys. Im somewhat new to volkswagens.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It seems to be starting better, but not good. If I pull the cold start solenoid (The one on the motor with blue wire connectors) and crank it while it is cold, should it be shooting gas? It often relies on the #1 cylinder while idling with the others kicking in spuradically.
You are of great help to a guy who has spent his whole life tuning chevys. Im somewhat new to the bosch injection.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

Yes, that cold start valve should spray, but only for a short period of time (less than 8 seconds). I realize this may seem trivial, but what condition are your plugs and wires in? and what color is the spark? Yellow, white, blue?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

ANd..... how are you getting to the air plate to hold it open?All of that should be closed up.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

wires are new, spark plugs are new platinum times 4, but the cap and rotor could stand replacement, seeing as how the carbon that touches the rotor is cracked and worn badly and the rotor ends look a wee bent. my cold start doesn't seem to be spraying. I got it to run much better timing it today. It takes about 4 or 5 seconds of cranking to start now. now all i need to do is get the idle down and make it stop sounding like it has a cam. I put a small piece of tape on the side of the air plate to hold it open a smidge. I will change the cap and rotor and see if that cures anything.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts

Uhhh.. mine is grey now. I converted to Motronic. I thought mine was green though. Replace the cap and rotor, and verify your DPR setting if you haven't already. If hte cold start injector doesn't squirt at all, you need to T/S that system. Check the vavle first, then the wiring, the thermo time switch, and verify that fuel is actually making it to teh solenoid. Oh yeah, and take that piece of tape off of the air plate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.