VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be late to the board on this one, but I am starting my swap and need to know which to save. I have a 1980 Rabbit that is getting a 1988 Jetta GLI "PL" 16V and tranny. Which axles to I need to use? will the axles out of the 16V fit into the hubs on the Rabbit? Will I need to make some sort of hybrid axles? 16V inner CVs with Rabbit outers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Re: 16v/rabbit swap, which axles to use?? (Rennwagen1)

you could try and find 16v scirocco axles, or swap 90mm flanges onto the tranny and use the existing rabbit axles. that's what i did on my swap, as scirocco axles were scarce and 90mm flanges were not.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

IMO Just run Scirocco axles with the flanges you have. 90mm's are a dime a dozen but some say are weaker.. Cant vouch for that but i say go 100mm. Peace

·
Banned
10,156 Posts
Re: 16v/rabbit swap, which axles to use?? (Supercharged VR6)

I have a 9A 16v in my rabbit and I am running 90mm axles. Two years and counting. No problems yet. You will need to change the spindles if you are going to use 100mm joints. I also might add that I do not treat my car nicely

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: 16v/rabbit swap, which axles to use?? (gtifly)

1.8 16v here with 115hp and 123torque to the wheels running through some 90mm and a 4K. Burnouts, drag racing, torture...they've been fine.
100mm is nice but not super important
Jason

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 16v/rabbit swap, which axles to use?? (vdubspeed)

OKay, so I should be okay with the 90 mms out of the rabbit? Will those bolt up to the 16v tranny? If not, can I change the hubs out on the rabbit for those off of the 16v, and use the whole 16v setup? I am not too worried about wrecking stuff, since I retyy much plan to do just that. I figure if it breaks, I should put a stronger piece in there, anyway. I have both of the cars complete, I am just wondering what parts to use, since it is 20 degrees in my garage and I am not in the mood for a bunch of "trial and error" if you know what I mean. Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Banned
10,156 Posts

if the tranny that you have has 100mm flanges then you will have to get late model 90mm flanges and swap them into the tranny you are using. Some possibilities are the 4k, 7a, ACN, ACD. They must have the spring loaded flanges or else you will be stuck with using the rabbit tranny that you have.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 16v/rabbit swap, which axles to use?? (Rabbit 16v)

Okay, so the 90/100mm thing is the flange that is mounted to the tranny itself? If so, I should be okay, as I have both the trannys form the 16v and the 9a out of the rabbit. If so, then I should use the 90mm flanges off the 9A tranny and the rabbit axles? Or is it possible to swap the 16V hubs into the rabbit and use the complete 16V tranny/axle/hub combo?

·
Registered
564 Posts

Ok here is what my research has turned up and I believe to be correct (someone let me know if I am wrong) Cabriolet axles from 90-92 maybe even earlier are 100mm inners and outers are the same and would not require new hubs. Therefore these would be a direct bolt in.
These are the same as the 16V scirocco units and I believe that they are about the same price as 90mm units

·
Registered
261 Posts
bring this thread back to life

i have an 84 rabbit ive got a 2.0 16v in it with the 020 CHE i had a 4k before and the axels were fine but with the che the axels are too long. they dont fit on tho the trans now. which axels do i need?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.