VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we tuned this 16vt on 034 (we didn't do the install). The customer raced a few S4's on the way back (killed 'em), and said the boots for 1 and 4 spark plugs popped out twice pushing them up so the cylinders lost spark. He pulled over and pushed them back in and it then happened a second time 10 min. later... He said the boots were INFLATED like balloons, and when he pulled them up air rushed out, and theN they went back to their normal size...lol I guess either the valve cover gasket or leaking past the plugs would cause this pressure buildup, but I have nevar heard of this??

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: FV-QR (sp_golf)

either the plugs are not tight or the ceramic insulators are cracked.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: FV-QR (weeblebiker)

Thanks for the responses. The plugs were tight, but the car was built by the original owners ~ 4 years ago, and I believe the plugs were in there from then. It was ok on the dyno, and I'm sure that's the only thing it could really be. Has this ever happened to anyone on here though?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Dubmekanik)

Plugs can leak compression on an NA motor. I saw this on my Harley when the engine was wet. There was a pool of water collected and held in the machined relief around the plugs and sitting at idle you could see the tiny leaks bubbling past the threads. Try some Copper based antisieze (K&W Coppercoat is good) on the plug threads.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Re: 16v spark plug boots popping out? (Dubmekanik)

weird...i had this problem for years
thought it was the oe plug wires - yeah oe
but come to think of it, the plug wires quit popping off after i changed the plugs, so yeah, i've had this happen before.
ahhahahahhahahhah i thought it was the wires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.