VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1961 Beetle, 2019 e-Golf
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Rabbit 16V project to the race track yesterday (Portland International), My friend Dan337 and I ran it for over 3 hours on the 2 mile road course at full race speed without a single hiccup! the car worked flawlessly, not bad for the maiden voyage
My favorite quote from my driving instructor, "Good pass, now I want you to reel-in that Lotus." That would be a Lotus Esprit V8!!! Dan, who's had previous track experience and was really able to use the car's potential, was in a higher skill group and matched a Dodge Viper in lap-times, unbelievable. It was perhaps the most exciting and rewarding day of my life.
I'll be posting a play-by-play of the whole event after I get some shots from the digital video, also for those who are interested, Dan has a nice website that details the building of the car. Check it out, some info is in the mainpage "updates" and some photos and history in the "77 Rabbit Track Day Car" link to the left.
http://oregonstate.edu/~crouch...3.htm
*Video Added! see Dan's reply below for the good stuff*

Modified by BreenMachine at 6:16 PM 10-7-2004

·
Registered
1961 Beetle, 2019 e-Golf
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 16V Success!!! (pocketrocket84gti)

The engine isn't really that special, just a 2.0L with a 1.8 head. For next year we may add cams and HD valve springs but to be honest I'm very happy with it as it is (there is no substitute for 110 octane fuel). what really makes the car fast is the power-to-weight ratio and crisp handling. Again, nothing too special, we're running Falken Azena tires, an H&R cup kit with upper and lower front stressbars, a rear upper stressbar and rear Autotech 28mm lightweight swaybar. The combination has worked together nicely, taming the natural understeer of the Rabbit and giving the car a very neutral feel (yes, it drifts sideways perfectly
)
Since you asked though... here's a couple pics of the motor, I'm still very proud of this one

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Re: 16V Success!!! (BreenMachine)

I'm so jealous. I wanted to go to the driver training, but couldn't make it.

I missed all of them this year. Must do better next year. I look forward to seeing your car in preson some day. Are you planning on putting in a full cage?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

very nice..........love hearing good news from the track http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
i find that on shorter tracks i can give some modern cars a run for their money but with only a 8V on say a long track im on my own

post up vids if u cant http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Re: 16V Success!!! (Man&Golf)

Yep, the twisties is where our cars really shine. Then again, it doesn't take much to go fast in a straight line, so to me, long fast courses are kind of boring. Speed doesn't do it for me, it's the G forces I'm after.
Someday (really) I will have my rabbit done and racing... Hopefully within a year (I hope).
- Fab

·
Registered
2019 Golf R
2,355 Posts
Re: 16V Success!!! (ftillier)

Well first let me begin by saying, this project would not be possible if not for the hard work and long hours that BreenMachine put in on this project. He's more than 100% responsible for all the wrenching on this car and I was around to hold stuff primarily. No matter what was being done on the car, it was always done 'right' and never half-assed, which really made our track day a perfectly flawless event! Many thanks BreenMachine!
Another big thanks to the shop Paul works for, Independent Bug Werks in Corvallis, Oregon. Their support has helped make the Rabbit a reality for both of us, and I'm very grateful! {quick plug}Don't let the name fool you, not only do they do great work on the older air cooled cars, they also service all the water cooled ones as well, from 77 Rabbits to 2002 GTi 337's... Ask me how I know
They also have great prices on parts for all VW's, Audi's and other import brands.{end plug}
Now on to the goods: This car handles! Turn in is fantastic and the suspension setup is very forgiving. The tires never gave up all day and must be the bargain of the century at $270 on the car. The cup kit was a big surprise too. With the A-arms parallel to the ground, the matched spring/shock combo was another amazing bargain that never felt too soft or too hard and was joy to drive.
As BreenMachine said, the motor swap is a 2.0l bottom end w/ a 1.8l head. The only performance mods are the K&N filter and the Techtonics race downpipe w/ corresponding exhaust. It's a very flexible setup that will serve many different venues (like auto-x's and hillclimbs) and provides more than enough power to get yourself in trouble with on the track.
So the pics... Unfortunately our film team arrived late to the track due to *ahem* a rather late night previously -- Truth be known, they were totally hungover at 2pm in the afternoon!! As a result, most of the 5-10 minutes of video are very shaky and sadly, it's all I have. To make matters worse, the DV camera is pretty crappy and the PC interface is nearly worthless. These are the best I can produce. If anyone has any experience with the utterly lackluster Panasonic DV203, please let me know if I can do any better with these.
Without further ado....
This picture doesn't do the engine bay justice at all. The setup is very clean and everything fits correctly. We passed tech in less than 5 minutes and the notes on the sheet read: 2.0l 16v in a rabbit, this should be fun

Our new playground

Here's a decent drive by coming off turn 12 onto the front straightaway (right click, save as): http://oregonstate.edu/~crouchd/rabbit/driveby.wmv
Here's me passing an SVT Contour in the same spot (right click, save as): http://oregonstate.edu/~crouch...r.wmv
We have more footage, but this is some of the best of it
I'll see if I can chop out some more.
We are planning on further modifications this winter, including the mandatory racing stuff like rollcage, cutoff switch, etc...
Ftillier, looking forward to hitting events with you in the near future.
dc

Modified by Dan337 at 1:01 PM 9-26-2004

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Re: 16V Success!!! (Dan337)

Quote, originally posted by Dan337 »
We passed tech in less than 5 minutes and the notes on the sheet read: 2.0l 16v in a rabbit, this should be fun

now that's what it's all about

·
Registered
1961 Beetle, 2019 e-Golf
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 16V Success!!! (Dan337)

Thanks for getting those vids up! Now it's my turn to give out props... Of course this project was a labor of love for me, but it took more than two years to complete, (it can be tough to work on cars on the weekend when you're sick of doing it all week), Thanks Dan for all your patience... This project was truly a two man job, I was able to "do things right" only because I had Dan's financial support, trust, and encouragement. Without Dan the car would still be a pile of parts and boxes.
Also I want to thank Cascade Sports Car Club, what a cool group of people! The emphasis was on fun and safety and everyone was very friendly. Special thanks to our instructor Dave Dunning who was a great teacher. It takes nerves of steel to hop into a car with someone you've never met, knowing only that they've never been on a race track before, in a car they built, and then encourage them to drive it to the limits. I can't wait to do this again next spring!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

Hi guys, I was just wondering at those sorts of speeds that you'd be going around the track in do you think the car needs any aero bits to keep it more grounded?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BreenMachine »
Also I want to thank Cascade Sports Car Club, what a cool group of people! The emphasis was on fun and safety and everyone was very friendly. Special thanks to our instructor Dave Dunning who was a great teacher. It takes nerves of steel to hop into a car with someone you've never met, knowing only that they've never been on a race track before, in a car they built, and then encourage them to drive it to the limits. I can't wait to do this again next spring!

CSCC is a top notch club. People always ask me if I'm worried about safety at these driver training events. I always tell them far from it, it's safer than driving on I-5 to get to the race track. Nothing more confidence inspiring than a well run, safe club event.
Dave Dunning is a super super cool guy. He's a friend of mine and the reason that I'm building my club rabbit racer. Too bad he moved on to Spec Miata before I finished mine, though. Still races a golf at the end of the season enduro for which I will hopefully be part of his pit crew again. I'm so glad you had him as your instructor, he was my first instructor too and a great experience it was.
- Fab

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.