VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C in my 8V '84 GTI works great, but with the coming 16V swap I'm wondering what to do. Obviously, the York compressor has to go in favor of the Sanden compressor on the 16V motor.
I picked up some used A/C lines out of a 16V Scirocco. But what does that do for me? I'm guessing the condenser and all the other crap is different on the Scirocco 16V, but I haven't a clue. Looking at it another way, are there any adaptors to install on the input and output lines so mate the stock Rabbit GTI A/C lines to the Sanden compressor on the 16V motor?
I'd be stoked if anyone has an action plan.
Dave

·
Banned
10,156 Posts
Re: 16V swap - how to rig the A/C? (GTI aficionado)

You will need the compressor, lines, condensor, expansion valve, and dont forget to replace the filter(this should be done every time the AC system is opened). HTH
edit: forgot the evaporator

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: 16V swap - how to rig the A/C? (Rabbit 16v)

wow! working AC. haven't had that EVER!
Jason

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: 16V swap - how to rig the A/C? (GTI aficionado)

You are doing the right thing!!!! A/C is a right not a priveledge! Seriously though, I have done this swap a few times and have allways used the lines and condensor from a later Cabriolet to acomplish this task. They use the same style compressor as the 16V motor and lines are made for that body. The location of the compressor is close enough to reach just fine and most of these cars could use a new condensor anyway.
You may be able to use the Scirocco parts, cut the Cabriolet stuff is a sure bet!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: 16V swap - how to rig the A/C? (balance-del)

either way you go, you'll need to buy new refridgirant... because you gotta crack the system to swap compressors...
junk it, hack the bracket, and get an 8v alternator pulley, you'll be happier with how much better it runs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.