VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pin 10 on the knock box goes to the fuel pump relay in the Bentley schematics for an 87 GTI. The negative side of the coil on the 83 GTI goes to the fuel pump relay according to Bentley. Seems to me I should hook up pin 10 to the negative side of the coil. However I found this schematic on the web:

It shows pin 10 going to 50 which is the hot start pulse relay in the 83 GTI.
So which is it? Hot start relay or negaitive side of the coil? Or neither?
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: 16v swap into 83 GTI, Knock Sensor Wiring Question (QB)

I would follow the Bentley, pin 10 to the fuel pump relay...its probably for the switched ground that starts it...what year car did your 16v stuff come from...?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

Answer, neither! I used that same diagram to put a KS system into my car, it works great. If you look at the bentley's wiring diagrams very carefully, you will find that the trace marked 50 is in fact part of the starter circuit, it receives power from the ignition switch only when cranking, that's why it's involved with things like the fuel pump relay and the hot-pulse relay etc. I hooked the #10 pin directly to a spare terminal on the starter. BTW, I've accidently run the car without this wire connected, apparently it's not critical because I didn't notice any difference.
BTW, that diagram was made by David Marshall of volkswagen.org, I've contacted him a couple times about various things, he's usually quite helpful.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 16v swap into 83 GTI, Knock Sensor Wiring Question (ABA Scirocco)

Thanks ABA. I'll run with out it for now.
Does anybody know what it does? How does the KS ignition limit revs? Could it be this wire telling the fuel pump to stop pumping?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks ABA. I'll run with out it for now.Does anybody know what it does? How does the KS ignition limit revs? Could it be this wire telling the fuel pump to stop pumping?[HR][/HR]​
I think it retards the timing a little bit when starting making it easier to start. I don't know how the rev limiter in the KS system. The wiring for the fuel pump relay circuit is a little different in a CIS-E system than a CIS system, it seems likely to me that this wire may have something to do with it because the rev limiter in my KS system, if there is one, is non-functional

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

I'm having this same problem, but i believe the reason my fuel pumps aren't coming on to start the car is this pin 10 or red/yellow wire. i can't seem to find where to tie it in to the 84 cabby fuel pump relay. does anybody know the original cabby wire color for this?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: 16v swap into 83 GTI, Knock Sensor Wiring Question (MUNICH_VR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm having this same problem, but i believe the reason my fuel pumps aren't coming on to start the car is this pin 10 or red/yellow wire. i can't seem to find where to tie it in to the 84 cabby fuel pump relay. does anybody know the original cabby wire color for this?[HR][/HR]​
There was no such wire on the cabby fuel pump circuit, the cabby's relay would have probably 5 terminals, one ground, one 12v from the battery, one 12v from the ignition circuit, one to the fuel pump and last but not least, one to the negative terminal of the coil. I don't have a wiring diagram for an 84 but that wire was red and black on the 85's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.