Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. yes.. i did the search and read thru lots.. but im still lost
ok heres the Deal
1.8L 16V (out of an 89 Jetta GLI)
Euro Injection with audi 5000 turbo fuel regulator
Neuspeed short shifter, weighted A3 Linkage

Now here is the question.. What do i need to make this fit in my 83 GTI? And do i have to change any thing.. any pictures.. of engine mounts.. would help alot.. on what you guys have done..
Can i keep The Euro Injection and the audi 5000 T- Fuel Reg on there. And will the Short shift and stuff work on mine??
The guy i bought it off.. i think gave me all the wireing for it.. but what would make it easier.. what wireing system should i Use?

Modified by A1DUB at 7:22 AM 2-9-2004

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Re: 16v Swap into 83GTI (A1DUB)

The EASIEST way to do it is to keep the CIS that the car came with. It'll work fine on your 16v (the 5k warm-up regulator's a good "keep" item) and is cheaper to tune than the later stuff (at least until you hit its limit...which is kinda hard to do on a naturally aspirated engine).
I'd leave the stock wiring from the GTi and just hook it up and go...no use making extra work for yourself, especially since you won't GAIN anything from it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You need either a MK1 16V header or a Scirocco 16V d/p and manifold.
You will also need at minimum a Saab or Polo distributor or a knock box to run the stock distributor.

Modified by dubtruker at 8:39 AM 2-9-2004

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (dubtruker)

use jetta motor.
get scirocco intake so you don't have to change sides
use your rabbit motor mounts. they will bolt on perfectly
the euro injection and WUR are fine
get a TT downpipe.
it's very simple
Jason

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: (vdubspeed)

cheap and shameless, i know.
i've got the saab vacuum advance distributor that you may need. IM me if you're interested.
i just did the exact same swap (although mine was slightly more intense). feel free to ask me any questions about it you might have. more than likely, i've already been there.

Modified by hella at 3:14 PM 2-9-2004

·
Registered
854 Posts
i did the same swap in my gti. i got pics i got to get developed that i can send ya. i mounted the WUR on the side of the head where they mounted them over the pond, which is kinda cool of VW. use the euro injection or the 8v injection with the scirocco intake mans. A1 16v header or scirocco man and DP. i used the sensors from the gti 8v motor, they thread in the 16v head no problem.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (Scirocco_Clan_Man)

for a cis-e into a cis car you will just have to provide power to the ECU and make sure the grounds for the ECU is good. if you have a complete harness from a roc then only ONE wire needs power.
If you wait till December I'll sell you everything related to the CIS-E including engine harness and ECU. Heck, I'll even throw in the dizzy, TB, d/p and everything else to put a 16v into an A1...I'm going 16vT baby

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok.. as for the tranny.. some say.. i have to use the 100mm ones and some say u can use the stock rabbit ones... but if i use the 100mm ones.. won`t i have to get a different brake set up to match The Drive Shafts (100mm)??

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (A1DUB)

90mm for stock rabbit tranny
100mm for a rocco 16V tranny
When I did my swap I wanted to keep my 4K so I just keep my stock axles. I've drag raced, done huge burn outs and raced that thing into the ground without ANY problems. 90s are fine with me.
Jason

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: (A1DUB)

ok now i need some more help......a friend of mine is doing a 16v swap from a scirocco into his 1983 vw rabbit gti. now he has some other guy trying to get it running correctly but the car is running really rich. now i talk to the guy who was doing the work and he dose not have the o2 sensor hooked up. is this gonna be one of the problems with it running rich if so i need know how the 02 sensor is wired in cause im fixing to tackel the job myself. we pulled all engin wireing harness from the scirocco includeing the knock box. so i want to make sure im gonna do it correct..the wireing from the rabbit fust box will plug into the scirocco ecu and i will have to run a switched 12v from the ignition switch and hook up the 02. then just connect the wires to the engin...any help would be great...please resopnd asap he needs this car on the road..
thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.