VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search with "16v swap" and everything from front end swap to VR6 swaps came up but no 16v rabbit ones for once....
Ok just wondering, still tinkering with the idea, throwing a 2.0 16v into my Rabbit (or building up 8v current setup) and found a engine with the needed parts minus rocco downpipe, and a few head studs, and gaskets here and there. But for the mileage of 65k out of a 92 Passat and new timing belt and no leaks its a steal.
I will be using the stock 8v Tranny with upgraded 16 clutch and PP along with lightened flywheel for fun measures
Anyone done this when doing the swap and was it tough?
I also always wanted to do the interior CE2 wiring harness to make it factorish as possible but wondered ok if i don't do CE2, how hard it is to use existing interior wiring harness and if so is it a big pain?? I want to do the Scirocco gauge cluster and was wondering what all i have to do to make this work to make the cluster harness plug in.

·
Banned
7,714 Posts
Re: 16v Swap into your Rabbit? Come here quick...for some quick questions :) (BadAss Mk1)

your gonna need an 8v clutch (clutch matches transmission not the engine) but you can runn a 210mm 16v pressure plate
the scirocco DP is a must...might as well buy a TT one because it will be easier to find and make more power..besides your car doesnt need a cat anyways
i wouldnt convert the car to CE2...biggest pain in the ass ever
run CIS-e i know motronic is nice but...at a price

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: 16v Swap into your Rabbit? Come here quick...for some quick questions :) (1phtgti)

we used the 8V 210mm clutch/pressure plate as well....
the scirocco downpipe isn't as much of a must as is the exhaust manifold ...you can use a TT downpipe or a TT header.
i used the stock rabbit wiring harness with e wired in from the firewall forward..not that hard if you nknow anything about wiring...but my fiancee has the whole cis-e wiring harness...and he has about 25 horse more than me...and we have the exact same motors! just the cis-e system functions better when it is totally intact....

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: 16v Swap into your Rabbit? Come here quick...for some quick questions :) (BadAss Mk1)

J. - for you I'd say build a 2.0L 8v and keep it simple. You can get close to 120hp at the wheels and a 2.0 16v will get you close to 130whp without major mods. Not sure the 10 or so hp difference will be worth hearing about your frustrations; how it stumbles & doesn't run right; isn't as fast as your VR; how you have grown to hate your A1, etc. etc.

seriously though, do you have a usable ECU and knock box from an CIS-E car? I'm not sure if the Motronic cars can slice in as easily to a CIS harness like a CIS-E.
If its for your Black GTI, I'd say keep trying to sell it. If the donor shell is not "the" car you want to make the swap into you'll never be fully satisfied.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: 16v Swap into your Rabbit? Come here quick...for some quick questions :) (rabidroco)

in '90 VW went to a central electrical (CE) system - more standardized across all its cars. More plug and play I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.