VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another swap with a lot of questions... Im swapping a 2.0 16v into my 83 rabbit and i have run into a few problems. the first major one is that the intake is on the passanger side and i have no idea how to make the entire air box fit in right.. There is enough clearence on the side for the pulleys but it is too tall witht he bottom of the air box on.. any suggestions or ideas how to make it fit right? It is hitting on the bumper support that runs back.... Another problem is witht he wiring... i havent yet started but was wondering if it is possible to keep the a1 headlight switch and put an A2 dash in... would i be able to wire it up? The last one is also wiring... Is there anyway to keep the stock cluster or am i better off getting the one for the 16v.. thanx for any help anyone can offer... I have looked on the searches and cant seem to find anything but if someone could direct me in the right direction i would be very greatful... Thanx

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Re: 16v Swap Problem (VwCdub)

im in the process of 16v swap myself, but i used the scirocco intake manifold so my stuff is on the drivers side stock position, so i cant help u with that, but u can make anything fit, but why would u wanna keep the headlight switch if ur swapping dashes? and you can keep your stock cluster, but im not sure what you're asking, are u asking if the a1 cluster will work with the a2 dash? or if it'll work with the 16v? if you're asking if it'll wor with the 16v, then yes you can keep that, unless u wanna change it...about the headlight switch again, if u really wanna keep it, yes u can wire it up, just gotta know which wire is for what, u need a bentley.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,915 Posts

I have the full 92 2.0L 16V in my mk1 jetta and to make the airbox fit I hack to hack the shizznit out of it...basically removing the entire thermostatically controlled warm up valve and ducting.
As for the cluster, it can be retained but you loose out on the MFA more impressive speedo and tach range.
Your cluster just gets the tach signal from thecoil and oil temp, pressure and coolant temp from the sensors on the motor so cluster wiring is a breeze

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

okay thanx for the help everyone... another question i have is whats the easiest way to start the wiring... i have the bentely and everything but i just dont know where to start... thanx

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: 16v Swap Problem (pocketrocket84gti)

Quote, originally posted by pocketrocket84gti »
Do you have to use a mk2 cluster?? I thought you can just keep your regular mk1 cluster...

No...I'm using the stock 83 jetta cluster with my 92 16V motor...I don't care that I don't have an MFA.
As for your question, VwCdub... what 16v engine wiring harness do you have?
Are you running the original mk1 fuse panel?
And have you read vdubspeed's post?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1253124

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 12:02 AM 9-16-2004

·
Registered
944 Posts
Re: 16v Swap Problem (marat_g60)

I ran into the same problem durring my swap . i took a rabbit air box and choped almost 2 " from the bottom. then i fiberglassed in the bottem around the shape of the frame rail i glassed in a 2 inch piece of pipe as an air inlet that runs inbetween the rail and the inner fender well. it fits great and sits low. i was still even able to put in the k&n air filter from my rabbit in the housing here is a pic of the box mounted

and here is a shot of the inlet pipe coming out the bottem. i will mount this higher once the ft bumper is on

any questions fell free to ask

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OKay ran into a few more problems... my main concern right now is about the manifold and downpipe that i am trying to use on my swap... we had a friend weld the downpipe from the rabbit to the top part that connects to the manifold but when i put it up to test it it looks like the is to far to the driverside and wont fit... any ideas or suggestions.. what have you other people used for a downpipe on this swap... thanx

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (rabitboy99)

Thanx for the info... also i have a question about the engine pic in the post above... on the fuel distributor there is something that looks like a fuel filter or something... is that a custom thing or is it something stock on some cars... i would like to know cuz i need new lines to hook mine up and it looks like it shortens that line.. lemme know...thanx

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
this is just an observation, but if you are planning on doing a swap, you should have a Bentley manual for both the rabbit, and the 16v. If you aren't using Scirocco16v parts, you are goint to run into trouble. Nothing you can't get around, but its much easier to use the 16v stuff from the scirocco.
Also, a lot of your questions have been covered a ton of times, check this thread for links to other people's swaps.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1253124

·
Registered
944 Posts
Re: (sharkytm)

i put the fuel filter there because i used the rabbit fuel pump and there is no filter in the back like the passat has. it was the only logical spot. had to make fuel lines but the was not that hard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.