VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting an 87 GTI 1.8 16v into my 82 rabbit. Just wondering if I can just use a scirocco intake manifold that will put the throttle body on the driver side, rather then using the GTi's and having to re-route the fuel lines? any help on this swap is appreciated, I have searched but not really come up with info that I understand and can utilize, peace out.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: 16v swap questions (82rabcab)

you will need the exhaust manifold from a 16V rocco
and also the half shafts from an 87 - 88 rocco or 85 and up cabby ones
most people use the intake manifold just for that reason ... and other ones too cough*turbo*cough
later
Shawn

·
Registered
854 Posts
i did the same swap in my 84 gti, but i used a 2.0l bottom end and a 1.8 16v head with euro cis and a 87 scirocco knock ignition. call up techtonics to get a schematic for the wiring of the knock ignition and use the stock cis that you have, you might have to up fuel pressure, but since you are using a 1.8 16v you should be fine. use the scirocco upper intake and fuel lines running to the injectors. as for the axles, i used the stock 2h gti trans that the i had in the car and the 90mm axles. they seem to be holding up fine. definately want to upgrade pressure plates though to the 16v plate with a little stronger springs. since i didn't swap out the cis-e injection i used the sensors from the 8v motor, they screw right into the head. all i had to do was lengthen a couple wires. the warm up reg mounts to the drivers side of the 16v head, right where they did in europe on the cars over there that used the euro cis. there are two bolt holes on the 16v head that are made for the reg. a friend of mine is using the cis rabbit 8v injection on his gti 16v. all he did was bump fuel pressure up with some shims cause he is using the 2.0 bottom end also. you should be fine if you go that route. good luck

·
Registered
4,857 Posts

i ran all my stuff A2 passenger side style, i bent new fuel lines for it and hot glue ninja-ed up the airbox so the hood would close. my friend just bent his fuel lines straight up where they kink over on his swap, but my lines were looking kinda old and i didn't want to risk shooting gas on my downpipe.

·
Registered
170 Posts

get the rocco intake, exhaust(manifold and downpipe), fuel lines wiring harness, intake tube, crankcase breather hose. i just finished the swap into my rabbit and you can still run your rabbit fuse box. the engine harness is somewhat stand alone, you just need to use a few wires for things like cold start, oil light, and temp sender. its a really easy swap. i had mine done in under a week. and i had to stop in the middle because i didn't have the right exhaust manifold. good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 16v swap questions (quantummatt)

you guys are all awesome, thank you for the quick responses. I think I'm gonna go scirocco manifolds, rather then bending the fuel lines, for both reasons. Always taking suggestions as this will be my first project dub. I'll be posting up pics of the work in progress over the next few months, so keep an eye out. Peace.

Modified by 82rabcab at 3:14 PM 12-4-2003

·
Registered
627 Posts

This has been a great thread..
I had some of the same q's with my 16v swap into my 81 Scirocco "S"
So the 16v engine management runs on its own. So once you have all of those wires hooked up, what wires do you have to use from the orioginal car. any splicing or tapping into the fuseblock....I have all of the 16v donor wiring and ecu's from a 87 16v

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.